Accidental Counsellor Course -Do you ever find yourself in a situation where you don’t know what to say or how to respond? (2nd Oct)
The Accidental Counsellor course could be a great option for school medical staff to upskill in those challenging times. It's an 8 hour course that can be delivered online, either one day or two x4 hours.
School admin and wellbeing staff are often at the frontline and first contact with a client. If that contact presents as aggressive, angry, or upset sometimes it’s not easy to find a response to diffuse or soothe a situation. Our Accidental Counsellor skills-based workshop equips staff how to handle difficult scenarios and provides a helpful, appropriate response. Participants learn how to take a calm and safe approach, while conveying empathy and encouraging cooperation. It will assist your staff to de-escalate an otherwise challenging situation or potential crisis.
This course will engage you via a variety of methods: visual, audio, theories, interactive, practical information and exercises to consolidate your key learnings.
You will learn how to help someone identify their strengths, that assist them to manage their problems better, and easier. You will learn how to reframe their thinking to give them a different perspective on something that previously painted a negative picture.
What you learn
- Basic counselling skills
- How to become a good listener
- Resolving emotional situations
- Know our own triggers
- How not to take things personally
- Recognising common communication blockers
- How to handle difficult callers or conversations
- An overview on mental illness
- An awareness of self-harm and suicide
- How to take care of yourself in the face of difficult work
- Why professional boundaries are important
- The power of Mindfulness
- Be familiar with basic communication skills and how to use them.
- Understand the counselling process.
- Develop strategies for dealing with people in crisis.
- Learn the difference between aggressive, passive and assertive behaviours.
- Know how and when to refer somebody who needs professional support.
- Gain an overview of mental health and wellbeing as well as mental illness.
- Recognise the need for self-care and develop ways of looking after yourself and others.
Number of Attendees: 15 pax
Suitable for those over 15
For further information, or to register via direct payment please feel free to email us firstname.lastname@example.org
#mentalhealth #health #workshop #mentalhealthtraining #accidentalcourse