Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Adobe PDF (Virtual) - August, 2023: Vision Australia
Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Adobe PDF
To take part in online training for Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Adobe PDF, you will need the following:
- Access to a desktop/laptop computer with a stable internet connection
- Course Handbook (we will provide)
- Working headphones/microphone/speakers
- Access to Zoom meetings
- *Please Note: If you register to complete the Creating Accessible Documents training online, you will require Adobe PDF (Pro DC, not Reader) installed on your computer to take part in remote training. If you do not have this already, you may be able to install a trial version (subject to the software owner’s agreement). Please bear this in mind when choosing to attend a remote version of this training.
PDF files have a variety of different uses, from producing annual reports to brochureware, eBooks and many more. This workshop will help ensure your PDF documents are accessible to everyone, through learning how to create and remediate PDF files in this advanced computer-based workshop.
We’ll show you advanced accessibility techniques to remediate PDF documents, without the need for a source file. On completion of the workshop, you’ll know how to create PDFs that are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course supports inclusive design in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
Those with a working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat will gain the most from this course, which is taught on PCs using Adobe Acrobat DC. Those who use a different version of Acrobat Pro (e.g. 10 or 11) and Mac users are encouraged to attend as the learning outcomes will be the same.
- Background to document accessibility
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to access content within digital documents
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 to electronic documents
- Techniques to create accessible PDF files:
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Check and correct text colour contrast
- Add text alternatives for images
- Tag headings and lists
- Tag simple and complex data tables and layout tables
- Add hyperlinks
- Add a table of contents
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Techniques for
accessible PDF forms:
- Associate fields with labels
- Test and modify the focus order
- Apply editing restrictions
- Accessibility compliance verification:
- Accessibility checker
- Testing with assistive technologies
- Do it yourself:
- Apply remediation and testing techniques to sample documents
Note: Techniques for source document creation are covered in Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Microsoft Office.
We encourage you to bring your own PDF documents on USB to remediate in the ‘do it yourself’ session. Sample PDFs will also be provided.
You’ll receive a comprehensive digital manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Adobe PDF Pro DC.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
Price listed is per person, including GST.
- $695 full fee
- $635 (group booking over 4 attendees)
* Please note, there will be no session on August 24. The last session will resume on August 31.
Thursdays 10.00am to 12.00pm AEST
August 3, 10, 17, 31
You may only cancel your registration by written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. If notification of cancellation is received by Vision Australia: (i) more than 14 days prior to the event, a full refund of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (ii) between 7 and 14 days prior to the event, a refund of 50% of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (iii) less than 7 days prior to the event, registration fees will not be refunded.
Phone: 1300 367 055