AI Forum - EnviroHack Series 2022
Showcase skills and help save the world in record time.
The AI Forum and AI Institute are collaborating to host our first ever New Zealand-wide AI hackathon for the environment.
AI for the Environment
In the lead up to the Aotearoa AI Summit we are hosting the AI EnviroHack series across New Zealand. The top teams will pitch their solutions at the Summit on 12 September in Auckland, where the overall winners will be announced.
Do you have a passion to save the planet, starting in our backyard? We’re bringing to life practical examples from our recently published AI for Environment in Aotearoa New Zealand report.
It is a federated event being held simultaneously in up to 5 locations.
18 August: BootCamp, live virtual event watch the recording here https://aiforum.org.nz/event/a...
3-4 September: NZ-wide AIEnviroHack series, in person at Dunedin
7 September: Optional training, live virtual event
8-9 September: NZ-wide AIEnviroHack series, in person or hybrid at Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Christchurch
What is the problem?
The AI EnviroHack is focused on delivering real life examples to help build a coherent environmental data ecosystem including:
- Deploying AI alongside other new technologies to enhance environmental data collection.
- Developing a national environmental open data framework.
- Considering where and how mātauranga Māori may be incorporated within Government AI systems.
- Coordinating the development of standards and best practices for environmental data management.
What may a solution look like?
The aim is to participate, ideate and learn. Of course if your objective is also to win, the judges will need to see a clear purpose in your creation. You will also need to appeal to a wider audience, not just data scientists and technologists. For example:
- Demonstrate the collaboration of citizen science with academic and government research to uncover previously hidden insights. This may include emissions, erosion, native and non-native flora, fauna and sea life, and waste.
- Demonstrate the collection of data from various sources for an environmental purpose without impacting data sovereignty. For example, Federated Data and Data Mesh.
- Consider the deployment of AI alongside other new technologies to enhance environmental data collection, enabling the incorporation of mātauranga Māori and principles of accessibility and openness into a Climate Change solution.
Do not be limited by these examples. We are hoping you will have your own ideas that you want to try out!
Why should I attend?
If you’re passionate about using tech for good, create your own team or join one at AI EnviroHack. This is the ideal opportunity to hone your skills with real-life problems. Share ideas, knowledge and gain valuable development experience. You’ll also benefit from attending this collaborative event by:
- developing a solution that is good for the world
- extending your comfort zone in a supportive environment
- showcasing your skills and learn even more
- creating new connections and team building
- developing communication and presentation skills
Auckland - Sponsored by DATACOM
Venue: 58 Gaunt Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010
Hamilton - Sponsored by AI Institute (University of Waikato):
FG 2 - Gate 8, Hillcrest Road, Hillcrest, Hamilton 3216
Wellington - Sponsored by AWS
Amazon Web Services New Zealand Ltd
157 Lambton Quay
Christchurch - Sponsored by Callaghan Innovation
5 Sheffield Crescent, Burnside, Christchurch 8053
Dunedin: Sponsored by University of Otago
Owheo Building, Department of Computer Science, 133 Union Street East, Dunedin North