August 14 & August 16, 2023 Online - Learn Easy English. 2 day writing course
Participants develop an understanding of Easy English, review current resources and research, and begin to develop their own Easy English document with the support of Access Easy English staff. This training focuses on all elements of implementing Easy English, including language and use of images. It provides numerous opportunities for participants to practice implementing these and other elements in their own document. Participants also consider the organisational implementation of Easy English.
When: Monday 14 August 2023 and Wednesday 16 August, 2023
Where: Online via Zoom
Time: 9:15 am – 5:00 pm Melbourne time
(Open from 9 am each day)
Cost: $625 + gst
Anyone who writes information for the public, eg: communications and marketing staff, support workers, planners, therapists, disability advocates, teachers, ethics teams, researchers, local council staff, government department staff, NDIS staff, report writers, My Aged Care staff, Health Promotions staff, ..........
Anyone who writes for their own staff - work tasks, safety information, leave, job descriptions, entitlements....
- learn the legislative framework for Easy English;
- identify who Easy English is useful for;
- explore current Easy English resources available in the Australian and international context;
- learn to identify Easy English compared with Easy Read, and be aware of what is relevant to your audience;
- learn and practise each of the steps to develop Easy English written materials;
- begin to write your own Easy English document, including selecting and developing appropriate image supports;
- explore the value of Consumer Testing of documents;
- explore use in websites;
- receive references and resources for further study and independent research.
This workshop has limited places of just 12 participants.
All participants need to have access to a document/brochure/flyer from their work environment, or other written material to learn to develop into Easy English during the workshop.
Not sure if this is right for you?
Examples on our Home page www.accesseasyenglish.com.au Resources and COVID-19 resources pages.
Call Cathy Basterfield 0466 579 855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Confirm your registration and pay with a Credit Card using the Humantix 'Buy Tickets Now' tab.
Please note there is a 50c Humanitix processing fee.
Request an invoice for Accounts Payable. Email email@example.com .
Access Easy English is owned by Cathy Basterfield.
Cathy is a trained Speech Pathologist, with more than 35 years’ experience.
She has a national and international reputation in the development of Easy English.
Cathy is acknowledged by her peers as a highly experienced practitioner in the field of Easy English, doing this work for nearly 20 years now.
She is recognised as being at the forefront of the development of Easy English in Australia, being one of the first practitioners in this specialist field, including the development of quality standards and benchmarks for Easy English. This also included writing the first guidelines for writing Easy English. This is still the basis of quality Easy English. You will receive the most up to date guidelines as a checklist which expands on the original work.
Cathy was awarded a Victorian Government Ethel Temby scholarship for an investigative study into international trends and accreditation for Easy English writing and publications in 2011. Cathy is a published author and is invited to present at conferences on this subject matter regularly.
In 2022, Cathy and her team were recognised for their Easy English work with multiple national and international awards:
- International Zero Project Shortlist for 2023
- International Global Award 2022 – Most Outstanding Communicator for people with Disability in the World
- Australian National Enablement Award 2022 - Most Outstanding Communicator in the NDIS Sector
- APAC Insider Small Business Award 2022 for our Easy English training
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI )– COVIDSafe Business Community Award Finalist 2022. For our pro bono COVID19 content development.
See more at www.accesseasyenglish.com.au
Cathy is a member of
- Speech Pathology Australia. Certified Practicing Speech Pathologist.
- Key Word Sign Australia.