Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF (Virtual) - June: Vision Australia
Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF
To take part in online training for Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF, you will need the following:
- Access to a desktop/laptop computer with a stable internet connection
- Course Handbook (we will provide)
- Working headphones/microphone/speakers
- Access to Zoom meetings
- *Please Note: If you register to complete the Creating Accessible Documents training online, you will require Microsoft Word (at least 2010 for PC or 2016 for Mac OS) and Adobe Acrobat PDF Pro (DC preferred or 10/11) installed on your computer to take part in remote training. If you do not have these already, you may be able to install trial versions (subject to the software owner’s agreement). Please bear this in mind when choosing to attend a remote version of this training.
Learn the fundamentals of how to create accessible Word and PDF documents in this highly interactive computer-based workshop.
Suitable for anyone who uses Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat, we’ll teach you how to ensure your digital documents are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course is in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
This highly comprehensive course is designed for a general audience – no prior knowledge of accessibility is required. Taught on PCs, a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat is recommended.
- Background to document accessibility
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to access content within digital documents
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 and PDF/UA standards to electronic documents
- Techniques to create accessible electronic documents:
- Use of colours
- Text format
- Techniques for accessible Word documents:
- Images and alternative text
- Tables of content
- Text boxes
- Converting Word documents to PDFs:
- Use the built-in PDF maker
- Configure the PDF maker for accessibility
- Test the resulting PDF for accessibility
- Techniques for accessible PDF documents:
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Associate images with alt text
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Use the TouchUp Reading Order tool
You’ll receive a comprehensive digital manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
Price listed is per person, including GST.
- $595 full fee
- $535 (group booking over 4 attendees)
Wednesdays 1.30pm to 3.30pm AEST
June 1, 8, 15, 22
You may only cancel your registration by written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. If notification of cancellation is received by Vision Australia: (i) more than 14 days prior to the event, a full refund of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (ii) between 7 and 14 days prior to the event, a refund of 50% of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (iii) less than 7 days prior to the event, registration fees will not be refunded.
Phone: 1300 367 055