HIGHER NOTES MUSIC CONFERENCE 2022 is a new two day event with a fresh perspective and strong creative flare.
This FREE conference celebrates new cultural shifts reimagining the music community, with panels and keynotes discussing insightful topics that make Naarm (Melbourne) one of the most important music capitals in the world.
Curated by Thickwave and presented by ALWAYS LIVE and Music Victoria, and in partnership with Support Act, Higher Notes Music Conference 2022 honors the rebirth of the music community and looks forward to its new beginnings.
Join us for a weekend of very special guests, panels, discussions and unique performances at Music Market - the home of Victorian music!
Saturday 29th Oct | 1-5pm: Exciting cultural re-imaginations and trends in our pop and club scenes.
Featuring: Amy Taylor (Amyl & The Sniffers), Georgia Maq (Camp Cope), Ashwarya, KYE, Soju Gang, C.FRIM & Mirasia (Dutty) , Stev Zar (Umami), Kianna Oricci (House of Dévine).
- “Alt-Pop Superstars” - Join a stellar line up of local artists who are hugely inspired by pop but through their own unique lenses - including indie turned pop icon Georgia Maq (Camp Cope), Pop via RnB hit-maker KYE and alt-pop princess Ashwarya, who will be opening for Dua Lipa the day after the conference.
- A very special keynote by Ballroom royalty House of Dévine.
- “Future Club Movements” - A panel celebrating the collectives, djs and communities who have been putting together some of the culturally-shifting parties and club nights in the country, prioritizing queerness, cultural diversity (for and by) and safe spaces. Join some of the most important leaders and influencers of these movements including Soju Gang, C.FRIM & Mirasia (Dutty) , Kianna Oricci (Mother of House of Dévine) and Stev Zar (Umami Collective).
Sunday 30th Oct | 2-5pm: New perspectives from artists and industry leaders on mental health, creativity and sustainable careers in a post-lockdown music industry.
Featuring: Jen Cloher, Kee’ahn, June Jones, Lorrae Mckenna (Our Golden Friend), Bonnie Knight (Sound Engineer & Producer), Sullivan Patten (St Kilda Fest Live Music Programmer), Del Ly (Creative Producer “Resonate” Moreland City Council and Music Victoria Project Manager).
- This day will kickstart with an insightful keynote by Jen Cloher.
- “Post Lockdown Blues'' - Musicians share their insights and reflections on how they view themselves as artists after two years in lockdowns. Join an insightful panel featuring some of Naarm’s most cherished singers, song-writers and leaders in the local music community; Jen Cloher, Kee’ahn and June Jones.
- “The BTS of The BTS” - This panel explores how lockdowns impacted the way industry workers behind the music community think and operate- do we still believe that motto ‘the show must go on’? Is faster always better? Join artist manager and label founder Lorrae McKenna (Our Golden Friend), renowned sound engineer and producer Bonnie Knight, live music programmer for St Kilda Festival Sullivan Patten and creative producer of Moreland’s City Council “Resonate” and Music Victoria Project Manager Del Ly.
Cost: These events are FREE but registration is required.
Times: There are multiple sessions across the two days. We encourage you to sign up for both days for the full conference experience.
Companion Cards: Music Market events accept and welcome Companion Cardholders and their Companions, as the event is free, please book 2 tickets.
Access: If you have any access requirements, email email@example.com
ALWAYS LIVE, Music Victoria and Thickwave acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Wurundjeri People of the Kulin Nation, on whose unceded land we advocate, support and celebrate on. We pay our deep respects to Elders past and present, and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities. We acknowledge them as the first artists, the first musicians, and the first creators of culture. We deeply respect the role that music and songlines play in the continuation of their culture for the past 60,000+ years.
Poster by Rowena Lloyd.