Institute on Inequalities in Global Health Student Symposium
The USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health (IIGH) invites you to join us for our Student Symposium on Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 1:00 pm PT.
Want to hear from fellow students about their work and experience with IIGH and the many opportunities available to students in the coming year?
IIGH offers students from all degree programs an array of fellowships, internships, courses, and other opportunities to address global health inequalities. This virtual symposium will give you the opportunity to hear from undergraduate and graduate students from across USC about the programs, projects, and research they have been engaged in with IIGH and its partners in countries around the world over the past year, and how these experiences are shaping their career paths in global health and beyond.
All those interested in learning more are encouraged to attend!
Students presenting at the symposium will speak about:
- USC IIGH Breman Global Health Immersion Fellowship;
- USC IIGH Summer Leadership Academy (SDGLA);
- USC IIGH Student Advisory Council (SAC);
- USC IIGH Geneva Course (Global Health Governance and Diplomacy in Practice); and
- Research projects with USC IIGH
Attendees will learn about these and other opportunities being offered next spring, summer, and beyond.
- Claire Bogosian (M.D., Keck School of Medicine), Breman Global Health Immersion Fellow
- Kaya Czyz (B.S., Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Studies, Keck School of Medicine; B.A., French, Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences), SDG LA Fellow and IIGH Student Researcher
- Anju Kane (Ph.D., Health Behavior Research, Keck School of Medicine), SAC Chair and 2019 Geneva Course participant
- Andy Liu (M.D., Keck School of Medicine), Breman Global Health Immersion Fellow
- Welela Solomon (B.S., Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Studies, Keck School of Medicine), SDG LA Fellow
The IIGH Student Symposium will be moderated by Dr. Shubha Kumar, USC IIGH Education Director.
Please join us on Thursday, November 16 at 1:00 pm PT.
This event is held as part of International Education Week. USC is proud to join universities across the country in celebration of International Education Week, a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education.
Dr. Shubha Kumar is Director of Education at the USC Institute on Inequalities in Global Health. She is also an associate professor of clinical preventive medicine and was the founding director of the Master of Public Health online program at the University of Southern California.
Her professional and research interests include management and leadership in global health and development, program planning and evaluation, health systems strengthening, and capacity building. She has successfully led the design and oversight of several programs in healthcare, disaster relief and education, as well as launched an international humanitarian non-governmental organization for which she was the chief operating officer.
Her recent projects include monitoring & evaluation of health programs and capacity-building and training of health workforce. She is most well-known for her expertise in impact evaluation, particularly social return on investment analysis.
She has lectured and consulted nationally and internationally, as well as developed the first distance education module on this subject. Kumar teaches in the USC MPH program including courses on global health leadership, global health ethics, and sustainable development and health. She earned her bachelor’s degree in biology, an MPH, and a doctorate in healthcare management and policy from UCLA.