June 25 & June 27, 2024 Online - Learn Easy English. 2 day writing course
Participants develop an understanding of Easy English, review current resources and research, and begin to develop their own Easy English document with the support of Access Easy English staff. This training focuses on all elements of implementing Easy English, including language and use of images. It is an interactive workshop with numerous opportunities for participants to practise their new skills in activities and in their own document. Website and internet access is explored. Participants also consider the organisational implementation of Easy English.
When: Tuesday 25 June 2024 and Thursday 27 June 2024
Time: 9:15 am – 5:00 pm Melbourne time
Cost: $625 + gst
Workshop suitable for:
Anyone who writes information for the public, eg: communications and marketing staff, support workers, planners, therapists, disability advocates, teachers, ethics teams, researchers, local council staff, government department staff, NDIS staff, report writers, My Aged Care staff, Health Promotions staff, ..........
Anyone who writes for their own staff - work tasks, safety information, leave, job descriptions, entitlements, work reports....
- receive a participant pack of materials to support your learning
- learn the legislative framework for Easy English
- identify who Easy English is useful for
- explore current Easy English resources available in the Australian and international context
- learn to identify Easy English compared with Easy Read, and be aware of what is relevant to your audience
- learn and practise each of the steps to develop Easy English written materials
- begin to write your own Easy English document, including selecting and developing appropriate image supports
- explore the value of and how to engage in meaningful consumer testing of documents
- explore use in websites
- receive references and resources for further study and independent research.
You can access up to an hour of editorial review of your draft Easy English document from one of Access Easy English expert Easy English writers.
You can join our closed Facebook group - Easy English network of writers.
This workshop has limited places of just 12 participants.
Bring along a document/brochure/flyer/other written material. You get a chance to start its development during the workshop.
You may find it useful to bring a laptop to begin your Easy English document development.
Not sure if this is right for you?
Examples of our projects at https://accesseasyenglish.com
Call Cathy Basterfield 0466 579 855 or email email@example.com
How to register
Pay with a Credit Card using the Humantix 'Buy Tickets Now' tab.
Request an invoice for Accounts Payable. Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Access Easy English is owned by Cathy Basterfield.
Your trainer: Cathy is a trained Speech Pathologist, with more than 35 years’ experience.
She is recognised as being at the forefront of the development of Easy English in Australia, being the first practitioner in this specialist field nearly 20 years ago. This includes the development of quality standards and benchmarks for Easy English and writing the first and updated guidelines for writing Easy English. This is still the basis of quality Easy English. You will receive the most up to date guidelines as a checklist which expands on the original work.
Cathy has a national and international reputation in the development of Easy English and is acknowledged by her peers as a highly skilled and experienced practitioner in the field of Easy English.
Cathy was awarded a Victorian Government Ethel Temby scholarship for an investigative study into international trends and accreditation for Easy English writing and publications.
Cathy is a published author and is a regular invited keynote international speaker on this subject matter.
In 2023 Cathy has presented papers in Australia, Austria, Portugal, Italy and New Zealand.
In January 2024 she presented in South Korea.
In 2022, Cathy and her team were recognised for their Easy English work with multiple national and international awards:
- International Zero Project Shortlist for 2023
- International Global Award 2022 – Most Outstanding Communicator for people with Disability in the World
- Australian National Enablement Award 2022 - Most Outstanding Communicator in the NDIS Sector
- APAC Insider Small Business Award 2022 for our Easy English training
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI )– COVIDSafe Business Community Award Finalist 2022. For our pro bono COVID19 content development.
See more at www.accesseasyenglish.com.au
Cathy is a member of