This kickstart sewing class will take absolute beginners through the basics of machine sewing.
Our experienced instructors will teach you the basics of threading, adjusting and maintaining a sewing machine. We believe anyone can start sewing however we would recommend this workshop is suitable for ages 10+yrs.
You will learn how to:
- Identify each part of the machine
- How to clean your machine
- Fill the bobbin and fit it into the sewing machine
- Thread your machine and take up bobbin thread
- Select an appropriate needle and how to change it
- What the different sewing feet are used for
- Sewing straight stitching and vary stitch length
- Change stitch selection and vary stitch width
- Check your thread tension
- Sew curves and corners
- Complete a basic sewing project using these skills
This workshop is for total beginners to get you familiar with a sewing machine and start you off with sewing.
If you have attended previously, or already have basic sewing skills, please look at our "Advancing your Sewing Skills" Class as we cannot cater for you in this class. This has changed from what we previously offered.
Please also keep an eye on Humanitix and Facebook for upcoming intermediate project-based sewing workshops.
We provide sewing machines and all materials, however, you are most welcome to bring your own machine. (please make sure that you bring all the electric parts e.g. cord and foot control, and presser feet).
Tea and coffee facilities available.
What to bring:
- Sewing machine if you have one you would like to learn on.
If you are bringing your own machine, please ensure you bring:
- the instruction booklet
- cord and foot control
- presser feet
As you start your sewing journey you will need to buy a sewing kit to support your new interest. A good starter kit of equipment should include these items:
- Tape Measure | Fabric Scissors | Quick unpick | Fabric Pins
Terms and conditions
Our cancellation policy depends on when you cancel. We have to arrange class tutors and prep for the classes. As many of our classes are fully booked, last minute cancellations would result in a loss of income . We are a small not for profit organisation and rely on the income from our classes.
1. If a class is cancelled by The Nest community (eg due to minimum number not reached, tutor not available due to covid), you will receive a full refund for you to rebook at your convenience.
2. If you cannot attend a workshop, it is vital that you contact us to allow us to fill your space on the workshop by emailing email@example.com
a) Cancellation with 7 or more days notice will receive a full refund for you to rebook at your convenience.
b) Cancellation with less than 7 days notice, will not be refunded. If a medical certificate is provided, we can issue you with a credit note valid for 6 months.
c) Failure to attend on the day of the class will result in a loss of your class fee.