Home Modifications - Panel Discussion (OtD Lunchtime Forum #003)
Home Modifications Panel Discussion (Online Event)
'Opening the Door' Lunchtime Forum #003
Event date: Thursday 8th June 2023
Time: 12:30-2:00pm (AEST: ACT/ NSW/ Qld/ Tas/ Vic); 12:00-1:30pm (NT/ SA); 10:30am-12:00pm (WA)
Registrations close Wednesday 7th June at 5:00pm (AEST)
This is a free online event for people with disability, their families, and carers, and others who are interested.
The challenges in accessing home modifications are ever present for people with disability. From obtaining funding, through to making sure that they are properly provided. For people in private rental, this can be even more difficult.
In this lunchtime forum, we will hear from senior executive from Foundations on their experiences in the United Kingdom. Foundations is England's National Body for Disabled Facilities Grant and Home Improvement Agencies.
This will be compared and contrasted with accessing home modifications here in Australia. This includes through lived experience. We will also talk about the need for reforms in the private rental market.
There will be opportunities for attendees to participate in the discussion throughout the session.
Panel presenters, with more to be announced
- Paul Smith - Director, Foundations (United Kingdom)
- Emily Hunter - Business Support Manager, Foundations
- Nader Zoljalali - National Disability Building Services | Board member, Home Modifications Australia
- Leo Patterson Ross - Chief Executive Officer, Tenants' Union of NSW
Michael Bleasdale - Executive Officer, Rights & Inclusion Australia | Company Secretary, Home Modifications Australia
This forum is one of a series of lunchtime forums being delivered through the Opening the Door project. Online sessions are recorded to view after the event.
Accessibility & Reasonable Adjustments:
If you need assistance or reasonable adjustments to participate please provide details when registering.
Please note that we need a minimum of five business days' notice to book some types of supports, including AUSLAN interpreting.
More about the Opening the Door project
The Opening the Door project aims to support people with disability to achieve choice and control with their housing options through:
- Developing and sharing online resources
- Forums designed to both share information and gather experiences
- Support existing and establish new peer networks.
The project is for all people with disability regardless of their type of disability or age, and whether they are a participant in the NDIS or not.
This project is being funded under the Australian Government’s Information, Linkages & Capacity Building program.
Rights & Inclusion Australia (R&IA) will have access to all information that you submit when you register to attend this event. We will be using this for the following purposes only:
- To coordinate your attendance at the event, and provide you with additional resources related to the event
- To issue surveys to people who register to attend this event. These will be voluntary to complete. They will assist the Opening the Door project to make sure that the project is best able to assist people with disability towards their housing goals. R&IA will issue a separate Participation Information Statement with all surveys.