PDU3 Pre-conference trip - Early Life Sites
Beginning with a private tour of the UNESCO-listed living stromatolites in Shark Bay, this tour will take participants on a journey back through time – stopping at key early life sites of the Mesoprotorozoic, the Palaeoproterozoic Wyloo Group, the Neoarchean Fortescue Group, and then to the oldest textural evidence for life on Earth in the Warrawoona Group. Depending on road conditions, stops may include outcrops featuring the “chain of beads” (Horodyskia), Duck Creek Formation stromatolite and microfossil sites, Meentheena Member (Tumbiana Formation) lake microbialites, stromatolites of the Strelley Pool Formation, and more.
A reasonable level of fitness will be essential as this trip includes bush camping and some hiking over rough terrain.
Transport, accommodation, and most meals are included in the trip cost. Transport will include bus, 4wd and air travel. Accommodation will be a mix of motels, dongas and bush camping. Note that if the minimum participant requirement is not met, the full trip cost will be refunded.
Trip leaders: David Flannery (QUT), David Martin (GSWA), Heidi Allen (GSWA)
Registration fees do not include insurance. It is strongly recommended that at the time you register for PDU3 and make your travel booking you take out an insurance policy of your choice. The policy should include:
• Loss of fees/deposit through cancellation of your participation in PDU3 or through the cancellation of the symposium
• Loss of international/domestic air fares through cancellation for any reason
• Loss of tour monies through cancellation for any reason including airline or related services strikes within Australia
• Failure to utilise tours or pre-booked arrangements due to airline delay
• Force Majeure or any other reason
• Medical expenses (including Covid19, sickness and accident cover)
• Loss or damage to personal property
• Additional expenses and repatriation should travel arrangements have to be altered
• Appropriate coverage for remote areas if registering for PDU3 field trips
The PDU3 Organising Committee cannot take any responsibility for any participant failing to arrange their own insurance. This insurance is to be purchased in your country of origin.”
We're sorry but registration is now closed for this fieldtrip. Please contact Heidi Allen (Heidi.ALLEN@dmirs.wa.gov.au) to be added to our waitlist.