Seizing the AI opportunity in Australia
There is no doubt that Artificial Intelligence (AI) already shapes the way we live and work. AI personalises our social media feeds, unlocks our phones with our faces, determines how much we pay for an Uber and monitors our banking activity. The impact of AI, while often invisible, will continue to grow in years to come. CSIRO's Data61 estimates that AI could be worth AU$22.17 trillion to the global economy by 2030.
Australian startups are already using AI technology to power solutions to important problems. The 2018 Startup Muster report showed that 21% of Australian startups consider AI relevant to their products or services. AI is being used in a range of sectors, from health to retail. For example, Maxwell Plus is using AI to detect prostate cancer earlier and Black.ai has created an autonomous retail platform that detects all product interactions by customers in-store.
Many other startups are employing AI tools to scale up their own businesses. By automating areas like customer experience, forecasting, content creation, digital advertising, hiring and cybersecurity, startups are able to operate at new levels of efficiency, accuracy and intelligence.
Join us for a discussion about the future of AI in Australia. Key points covered in this discussion will include:
- High potential opportunities for AI innovation in Australia
- Investment trends in the AI space
- How Australian startups are using AI-powered solutions to solve big problems
- The AI tools startups should be using to scale smartly
Lars Oleson (Xailient) Lars is the CEO and co-founder of Xailient. Xailient lowers the costs and improves the performance of computer vision with software that optimizes the processing of AI across devices, from camera to cloud.
Chelsea Wise (Hyper Anna) Chelsea is Marketing Director at Hyper Anna, an award-winning AI-powered analytics platform. With a PhD, Chelsea, aka Dr Wise, formerly designed and taught courses on marketing, analytics and behavioural economics at UTS.
James Cameron (AirTree Ventures) James is an Investment Partner at AirTree. Prior to AirTree, James was the Vice President of Accel Partners, investing in early stage and growth stage companies. James also co-founded a SaaS investment research software platform aimed at investment management funds in San Francisco in 2011.
Rohan Gray (Artesian Venture Partners) Rohan joined Artesian in 2016 and is the analyst responsible for MedTech, Slingshot, Sydney Angels, Corporate VC, China and late-stage opportunities. Rohan previously worked at UBS and was also a Global Equities Trader specialising in special situation opportunities.
Dave Lemphers (AWS) Dave is Head of Startup Technology in Australia and New Zealand for Amazon Web Services and an accomplished software engineer and entrepreneur. He will be kicking off our discussion with an introduction centred around AI implementation trends in startups.
7:30 am - Doors open
7:55 am - Live stream starts
8:00 am - Introduction from Dave Lemphers of AWS
8:05 am - Panel discussion
8:45 am - Q&A with the audience
9:00 am - Event concludes
This event will be in-person for the 30 guests who secure a physical ticket. For everyone else across Australia and those that can't make it in-person get your free virtual ticket and join the event!
Be Covid Safe. We take our responsibility as an event organiser seriously so in response to Covid-19, we have procedures we want to make you aware of:
- We adhere to the 4 sqm rule at all venues
- We'll provide hand sanitiser should anyone want some
- We'll temperature check all attendees
- We encourage attendees to wear a face mask
- We encourage attendees if they have been to a Covid hotspot 48hrs before the event not to attend
- We'll have a staff member who will be visible and noted as the safety officer who will ensure social distancing and safety
What we ask of you:
- If you feel unwell within 48 hours of the event, or have been in a Covid hotspot, please let us know and take a raincheck for next time.
- We encourage attendees to wear a mask to attend and will have hand sanitiser and tissues available.
- On attendance, we'll temperature check all attendees as we hand out name badges