UNAAQ International Day of Peace Lecture 2023: Craig Foster AM
On the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the United Nations Association of Australia Queensland and St John's Cathedral Brisbane are proud to present International Day of Peace 2023.
- Date: 21 September
- Time: 6.30-8.00pm AEST
- Venue: St John's Cathedral (and streamed online)
- Cost: Free, but registrations essential for in person attendance
- Online: The event will be livestreamed on the St John's Cathedral Youtube channel
This year's theme is 'Actions for Peace: Our Ambition for the #GlobalGoals'. As United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said, “Peace is needed today more than ever. War and conflict are unleashing devastation, poverty, and hunger, and driving tens of millions of people from their homes. Climate chaos is all around. And even peaceful countries are gripped by gaping inequalities and political polarization.” We invite you to join us as we work towards a world free of racism, discrimination, and a world where compassion can overcome suspicion and hatred.
This year's event will be a celebration of local agents of peace, and will feature a lecture to be delivered by Craig Foster AM: Human Rights Activist, Agent for Peace, Former Socceroo, Broadcaster, Adjunct Professor, Author. Craig is a tireless campaigner for refugee and humanitarian rights, and uses his platform and the power of sport to advocate for the fair treatment of all.
Support the work we do by becoming a member!
- Acknowledgement of Country
- Reverend Canon
- UN Secretary General's message
- Keynote speech - Craig Foster AM
- Local Agents of Peace Awards
- Concluding Statement and performance
This year's event would not be possible without the support of our valued partners:
- Griffith University
- The University of Queensland
- Just Peace Queensland
- The Rotary Peace Centre, UQ
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
- UNAA Young Professionals