AUSMAP Training Day - Refresh and Reconnect (Fremantle, WA)
About The Training
Learn about AUSMAP and participate in this full-day training session on the field sampling methodology for collecting, sorting and identifying microplastics.
Join AUSMAP Program Director Dr Michelle Blewitt to become an accredited AUSMAP Ambassador or come along to Refresh and Reconnect!
For those that have been trained & want a REFRESH, then please email email@example.com for discount code.
* Gain a broader environmental awareness on the issue of plastics and deeper insight into the microplastic problem
* What are microplastics, where we can find them in our local community, and how AUSMAP is helping to reduce this problem, along with your help!
* Learn about the current state of affairs across metropolitan Perth and how we can manage these issues
* Gain hands-on experience by undertaking a scientific microplastic sample along the shoreline which contributes to authentic data collection
* Field sampling will take place - a practical accreditation will take place in the afternoon session, an essential part of the official AUSMAP program- on completion, you will become an accredited AUSMAP Leader!
When: Friday 01 Dec 2023 @ 0900 start, finish approximately 3:30pm
Expert: Dr Michelle Blewitt (Program Director)
Venue: City of Fremantle, Walyalup Civic Centre, Bibbool Room, 151 High St., Fremantle, WA
AUSMAP training is perfect for teachers, educators, waste managers, members of council, sustainability officers, retirees or community members.
For those that have been trained & want a FREE REFRESH, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org for discount code.
Light morning tea will be provided, but please BYO coffee cup, water bottle and lunch - or purchase close by on the day at the local cafes. Please, no single-use plastics!
LIMITED PLACES, PLEASE BOOK ASAP!
PLEASE RSVP 28th Nov @ 5PM
Events may be photographed for media purposes.
It’s hard to solve a problem you can’t see. Until recently microplastic pollution presented scientists with a crisis that was invisible to the naked eye. Now we have AUSMAP - the Australian Microplastic Assessment Project.
AUSMAP is a global first, nationwide citizen science that engages and educates the community to collect scientifically reliable data on microplastics from shorelines across the country – from coasts to catchments – to identify litter hotspots and assist in source reduction.
AUSMAP is a powerful management tool that forms the basis to develop & implement regional litter prevention strategies for stakeholders to use, and act on.
We need to know how much is out there before we figure out what to do with it. And we need large numbers of Australians to engage with behaviour change so we can stop any more plastic from entering our waterways and design effective mitigation strategies.
That’s why we need you in our AUSMAP collaborative citizen science project!
What is the cost of the Training Day?
The cost of this AUSMAP Training day is $95 per person
(FREE to those that are already trained & wish to attend to get a refresh)
Additionally, donations to support the ongoing development and delivery of AUSMAP are greatly appreciated.
All donations over $2 are tax-deductible.
What do I need to bring?
* You will be required to collect water as part of the field sampling, so please bring waterproof shoes (or go barefoot)
* Sun protection and/or rain jacket
* Notebook and pen
* Reusable water bottle and coffee cup
What obligation do I have after I complete the AUSMAP Training Program?
As you register, you will complete the AUSMAP Collaborator Agreement questions & agree to the following:
1) Where possible, assist in sampling up to 4 times per year in a proposed location;
2) Follow our AUSMAP methodology, using our field kit & equipment;
3) Send datasheets and microplastic samples to AUSMAP for further analysis; &
4) Promote the AUSMAP program with your local community.
5) AUSMAP methodology, sampling, data and name cannot be used for profit.
For more information, please contact email@example.com