Learn to weave with nine weeks of hands-on, project-based classes - using primarily rigid heddle looms but exploring a range of weaving styles and techniques. No prior weaving experience is required and all equipment and supplies are included. You are of course welcome to bring along your own loom if you already have one - add a comment to your booking request and we can discuss.
The classes run for 3 hours each and can be booked as a full course, or you can select specific classes to book into if there are topics, skills or projects you want to learn. Some projects do run over more than 1 week, and can be booked as a mini-course. Feel free to contact me if you want more detail about which weeks you should book depending on what skills you are most interested in learning.
Skills and techniques covered will include:
- Weaving terminology and basic theory;
- Tabby, twill, and tapestry;
- How to read patterns and drafts;
- Direct and Indirect warping;
- Setting up your loom;
- Combining colours and creating texture;
- Using different materials for different purposes e.g. wool vs cotton;
- Finishing techniques;
- How to use your woven fabric.
There will be a selection of wool, alpaca and cotton yarns. If you are unable to use wool/alpaca please advise in your booking request so that we can discuss alternatives.