Pulse - The Next Wave of Marine Science and Innovation
Join us in this unique opportunity to: have informed dialogue, make valuable connections, identify ocean challenges and hear about inspiring solutions while enjoying sunset by the ocean.
This event is focused on the South West, the ocean, and sustainable future industries. We are taking inspiration from the theme of the 2022 UN Ocean Conference "Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14", and will share local challenges and showcase innovative solutions.
This event brings together the Blue Gravity initiative and Connect Sustainable Industries program, supported by For Blue, Innovation Cluster, and Department of Jobs, Tourism and Innovations
Our speakers include:
- Lyn Beazley - Busselton Jetty patron - leading scientist, educator and advocate for science and technology
- Gillian Starling - MCC Environmental - industry sustainability expert fresh back from the UN Ocean Conference
- Emma McPherson- Indian Ocean Greens - Innovator developing new ocean grown seaweed products for human consumption
- Jon-Paul Cox - Canopy Blue - Entrepreneur leading a ‘hyper scale’ marine ecosystem regeneration project
- Matthew Bungey - Foxglove Capital - Investor focused on large-scale climate change and ecological regeneration projects
Right before the event, you get to experience Busselton Jetty's Underwater Observatory Tour!
- Networking & Welcome
- Underwater Observatory Tour with return Jetty Train ride
- Plenary overview
- Facilitated "fishbowl" discussions
- Plenary Panel and Q&A
- Snacks and Refreshments
- Close & Networking
Our speakers will share their insights into three big shifts that signal the next wave of science and innovation, and join with participants in small group conversations.
- From individual ventures and innovations to creating whole new asset classes and widespread ecosystem benefit e.g. seaweed aquaculture,
- From science and conservation being funded by government and philanthropy to whole new business models and financing mechanisms,
- From traditional narratives about the conflict between conservation and commercial interests to new challenges, opportunities and framing.
Tickets include event participation, snacks and refreshments, and Underwater Observatory Tour with Jetty Train ride.