Brisbane Basket Brigade Community Volunteer Packing Weekend 2020
UPDATE: Whilst we note that most of our community volunteer packing weekend tickets have now already been snapped up please remember that we are also seeking volunteers to assist with delivery of our baskets to the recipient families on the Sunday. Delivering the baskets and gifts to the recipient families is so rewarding for our volunteers and allows them to see the impact just a small act of kindness can have on families that are doing it tough, particularly at this time of year For all the details or to register please visit https://events.humanitix.com/brisbane-basket-bridge-community-volunteer-packing-weekend-2020-delivery-drivers.
COVID-19 can’t hold us down!
The Brisbane Basket Brigade Community Packing Weekend is back bigger and better than ever in 2020 and is set to place over 12 and 13 December at Chandler Arena, Sleeman Sports Complex. We also have limited community volunteer roles for our paid Corporate event on Friday 11 December 2020. For past volunteers, you will notice some changes from previous years to partly satisfy Covid19 restrictions but to also enable us to grow bigger. This year the Saturday will be the more traditional Packing Day with gift wrapping, food sorting & packing and preparing the baskets ready for delivery, with Sunday now being used for deliveries only to ensure that we can deliver all the baskets by the end of the packing weekend.
The Packing Weekend will be operated as a Category Three event involving less than 500 people on site at any given time and the Brisbane Basket Brigade will complete and adhere to the Queensland Governments COVID Safe Event Checklist.
Are you able to help us ensure that over 1,700 baskets are ready to be packed and delivered to those in need right here in Brisbane over the packing weekend? If you don’t know what we do be sure to check out our website at https://www.brisbanebasketbrigade.com/.
In 2019 we managed to sort, pack and distribute over 20 tonnes of food and to wrap over 12,000 gifts which are anonymously given to families, individuals and the homeless that are doing it tough within the greater Brisbane community to remind them that someone cares and to help put a smile on their face and in their hearts at Christmas. In 2020 we have increased our goals by 20% so we can guarantee that it’s going to be huge!
The weekend itself is organised chaos however there is a huge variety of ways that you can get involved. To join our packing weekend please sign up for your free ticket below in the category or shift that best suits you.
We welcome children to our packing weekend (it is Christmas after all) and we want to make sure that they also get to experience the joy of giving back at Christmas. If you are bringing a minor they MUST hold a valid ticket in their own name. To purchase a ticket for a minor please ensure that you complete the First Name section of the ticket to include your name as guardian/parent for (e.g. John Smith as parent/guardian for Jayne) and then complete the child’s last name in the last name field. To ensure we comply with COVID restrictions we must have a record of every participant and ensure that we do not exceed the venue’s capacity. If your child does not have their own ticket they will not be permitted to enter the venue.
If you are wanting to deliver on behalf of Brisbane Basket Brigade please see our Community Volunteer Driver program to sign-up at brisbane-basket-bridge-community-volunteer-packing-weekend-2020-delivery-drivers. Provided tickets are available we welcome people to sign up for both programs so long as the shift times do not overlap.
Below is a brief overview of the roles that we have over the packing weekend. Although we will certainly try to make sure you are allocated in the role for your entire shift, we always invite people to do other certain roles as they crop up over the weekend. Just let one of our team know if you’re willing to help out where we need you most.
- Parking Attendants and general roustabouts – this role will help our volunteers find the right carpark on the day, provide directions for our delivery drivers and assist with deliveries to the venue as required
- Registration Desk attendants – helping to check in our volunteers before each shift and provide general administrative assistance
- Drop-off crew – assisting our general roustabouts with deliveries and sorting the deliveries within the venue
- General packing day volunteers – these are a 4 hour shift where you could be doing a range of activities from wrapping and sorting gifts, sorting food and packing coloured (large family) food bags, assembling and decorating gift boxes and/or preparing the gift boxes ready for delivery
- ADULT ONLY roustabouts – assisting with removal of rubbish and boxes within the venue and removing to nearby recycling station and various roustabout activities, assisting with large pick-ups by recipient organisations and general assistance as required (must be fit and healthy)
- Funsters – a fun job for a young family that will get to hand out treats and drinks to the other community volunteers