Cello Dreaming Summer Intensive Retreat 2023
CONCERT INFO: Experience our retreat artists in concert at Eudlo Hall! Tickets $15-$45 family tix $100. Early Bird offer ends 6th January. Book now to reserve your seat online. Cash bar, interval refreshments available.
Headline artists include folk artist and singer-songwriter Monique Clare performing original music from her debut album ‘Sight’, Louise King (Muses Trio, Cello Dreaming) performing looping originals and well known classics, Elizabeth Neville from the Sydney Symphony Orchestra featuring in the Sunday Classics Cellissimo! concert, Dan Curro from the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra, Chloe Williamson from Tango Enigmatico, The Brisbane Tango Orchestra and Queensland Symphony Orchestra and Julia Janiszewski from the Canberra Symphony Orchestra.
Concert 1: Friday 13 January 7pm - Originals & Folk Music Night ft. Headline Solo Acts Monique Clare playing originals from her debut album ‘Sight’ and Louise King playing looping originals from her soon to be recorded debut album ‘Amaranth’ with local support act Julia Janiszewski (Canberra Symphony Orcehstra) playing folk music from Denmark 🇩🇰 and Ireland 🇮🇪
Concert 2: Saturday 14 January 7pm - Tango & Bach ft. Tango Enigmatico, Chloe Williamson (The Brisbane Tango Orchestra, Camerata, Queensland Symphony Orchestra) with Dan Curro (early cello, Australian Brandenburg Orchestra, Australian Romantic Classical Orchestra), Elizabeth Neville (Sydney Symphony Orchestra).
Concert 3: Sunday 15 January 3:30pm - Classical Cellissimo! ft. Elizabeth Neville (Sydney Symphony Orchestra), Julia Janiszewski (Canberra Symphony Orcehstra), Louise King playing well-known cello classics with pianist Dr. Therese Milanovic and The Retreat Cello Choir with local support act.
Viva la Cello! The inaugural Cello Dreaming Summer Retreat Concert Series 2023 will be held at Eudlo Hall from 13-15 January presenting three public concerts for local and visiting audiences that celebrate the diversity and beauty of the cello featuring guest artists from Brisbane and Sydney.
The Retreat Concert Series will showcase the cello in a wide variety of styles from Celtic, folk to tango, baroque to classical, Australian music and female composers to looping and improvisation. The Concert Series aims to inspire and connect the audience to the beauty and diversity of the cello, celebrate the dynamic talent of our guest artists and provide an opportunity for emerging artists and local support acts to take the stage.
WHEN: Thursday 12th January 6pm welcome drinks & meal plus evening cello choir and jam session - Sunday 15th January 6pm 2023
WHERE: Eudlo Hall, Rosebed Street Hinterland Sunshine Coast (Gubbi Gubbi country) QLD
WHAT: 3 full days and 1 night immersion offering activities to create connection, continuum, challenge, and comfort.
WHAT: 3 Public Concerts, Friday Folk 7pm, Saturday Tango & Bach 7pm, Sunday Classical Cellissimo! 3:30pm.
- Cello Choir
- Teaching In Action
- Technique Classes
- Public Concerts
- Community Talks & Music Industry Panel
- Early bird tickets are available until 5pm 6th January 2023.
- Full price tickets start for individual classes and public concerts at $45.
- Observer tickets for classes, workshops, masterclasses and rehearsals start at $15.
- The full retreat package is $605 early bird, $825 full price.
- Day Passes available $192.50 early bird, $275 full price.
- Please apply your discount code at the checkout and provide your valid AUSTA membership number or student ID card.
- Early bird registration deadline is COB 5pm Friday 6th January 2023.
- Full payment is due upon registration.
- Book and pay for individual classes, activities and concerts via the ticketing link.
- The full retreat package covers all educational activities, public concerts, refreshments during breaks from Thursday 6pm 12th January welcome drinks to closing event Sunday 6pm 15th January 2023. Lunches and dinners will be held at Eudlo General Store who are offering a special deal.
WHO: 2023 retreat artists, industry panel speakers and instructors are:
- Louise King (Cello Dreaming, Muses Trio, Australian Chamber Music Collective) Retreat Artistic Director
- Elizabeth Neville (Sydney Symphony Orchestra)
- Julia Janiszewski (Canberra Symphony Orchestra, Strings Teacher,Environmental Scientist)
- Monique Clare (singer-songwriter, contemporary folk artist, cellist)
- Chloe Williamson (Brisbane Tango Orchestra, Tango Enigmatico, Australian Romantic Classical Orchestra, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Camerata, double bassist and lower strings specialist)
- Briony Luttrell (University of the Sunshine Coast Lecturer, Nonsemble, Mr Maps)
- Dan Curro (Black Square Quartet, Australian Brandenburg Orchestra)
- Sherab Holley (Strings Teacher, violinist, Buddhist monk, meditation teacher, naturopath)
- Liz Page (Feldenkrais Embodied Awareness) https://lizpage.com.au/
- Michelle Freeman (yoga, Nambour Yoga Centre)
ABOUT: The Cello Dreaming Summer Intensive Retreat redesigns how music is shared, taught, experienced and practiced.
We offer an inspiring retreat designed to create space to pause, explore and refresh through community exchange and powerful learning.
The intensive program offers something for every cellist and meets musicians at any level from beginner students to professional players, emerging artists, community practitioners and instrumental teachers seeking inspiration for their teaching year ahead.
We offer a mixture of face-to-face masterclasses, skill enrichment workshops and talks led by a unique community of internationally acclaimed musicians, teaching artists and holistic practitioners that explore a range of skills relevant to the modern musician from the physical to the intellectual and spiritual.
The retreat is designed to deepen your approach to practice, improve your musical knowledge and technical skills. Learning experiences are with an international faculty of musicians and include talks on topics such as career pathways to meditation.
The faculty are generous practitioners who share tips and tricks, and open ways to learn a range of music from folk to jazz, tango, contemporary, improvisation, baroque to classical.
Our faculty include leaders in professional orchestras, contemporary folk, and chamber music practices, and specialists include practitioners in Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais Method, yoga, meditation and Body Mapping.
We address the physical, social and mental wellbeing of students, aspiring musicians, music teachers and professional practitioners. We create supportive and safe sessions that empower you towards creative and personal freedom.
We show you how to care for your body and your mind, as well as how to manage your inner-critic, self-doubt, performance anxiety, and provide strategies and resources to deal with injury and encourage freedom of movement and thinking.
SNAPSHOT DAILY ITINERARY:
- 8:00 Arrival & Class Physical Activity i.e. yoga
- 9:00 Technique Class
- 10:00 Workshop Series
- 11:00 Morning Tea
- 11:30 Masterclass Series
- 12:30 Lunch
- 1:30 Creative Class Series i.e folk, tango
- 2:30 Afternoon Tea
- 3:00 Community Talk
- 3:30 Cello Choir & Ensembles
- 5:00 Daily Exercise | Personal Reflection Time
- 5:30 Sound Check for Concert
- 6:00 Dinner
- 7:00 Public Concert
- 9:00 Close
FAQ are available here www.cellodreaming/summerretreat
This retreat is designed for every cellist and caters for beginner, intermediate and advanced level streams.
Each participant can choose to participate at their own technical, physical and social comfort level with class material and group workshop activities specifically designed to cater for a multilevel and a multi-age environment.
Masterclasses are more beneficial for grade 6 AMEB and above participants. If you are interested in participating in the masterclass series, please tick this box on the registration form.
COVID PROTOCOL: Our first priority is to protect the health of everyone who comes to the retreat program, including our instructors, practitioners, participants, and audience, while respecting their personal health practices. We follow state COVID-19 guidelines and protocols that are currently in place.
Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell and present with covid related symptoms. Please take a test and self- isolate. If you have symptoms and test positive for Covid-19 during the retreat, we will ask you to return home to care for yourself.
If you recently have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive before the arrival day, we encourage you to cancel your booking. Please email us if you are in this situation so we can send you more information.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Please advise any special requirements you may have including travel arrangements, special meals, or disabled access.