Community Organising Foundations - Hunter -June 2023
Community Organising Foundations (2-day) training is based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation in over 70 years of successful organising. These ideas are translated to a local Australian context to cover the essentials of community organising and how we implement it here in the Hunter region.
The training is interactive, thoughtful and made for people with all levels of experience. Concepts worked through include power, our roles in civil society as public people, negotiating social change, and what makes strong organisations. As practical as it is theoretical, we teach the tools to start building public relationships and work through the Organising Cycle to solve problems in our communities.
A primary outcome and benefit of this training is in forming new public relationships with other diverse people who are active in the Hunter's community life.
- Community Organising: the history and tradition of our civil society organisations
- Relational Organising: individual relational meetings, listening assemblies, research, negotiation and action
- Strengthening our Organisations: building a culture that is relational, action oriented and reflective/learning
- Using Relational Power in the public sphere to take collaborative action on common issues.
Change makers who have trained in and then led this training include:
- Mike Gecan, IAF Co-Director, author
- Amanda Tattersall, Sydney Alliance, GetUp, Sydney Policy Lab
- Barak Obama (YES, that's right!), former POTUS and IAF Organiser in Chicago
Partner organisations are encouraged to send leaders and members to participate. It is an important space to connect with other organisations and to develop skills in community organising. Training is free for members of partner organisations.
Organisations interested in exploring membership with Hunter Community Alliance are also encouraged to participate and to get a feel for the coalition.
Content to help participants prepare and engage in the training will be sent after registration.
Training is Free if you are a member, employee, endorsed or volunteer with:
- Australian Conservation Foundation
- Australian National Imams Council
- Baptist Churches of NSW
- Catholic Diocese Maitland-Newcastle
- CatholicCare Social Services Hunter-Manning
- Cessnock Leos Club
- Community Disability Alliance Hunter
- Climate Action Newcastle
- Family Inclusion Strategies Hunter
- Faith Housing Alliance
- Glenrock Anglican Parish
- Healthy Connection for All
- Hunter Ageing Alliance
- Hunter Homeless Connect
- Hunter Tenants Advocacy & Advice Service
- National Tertiary Education Union
- Nature Conservation Council NSW
- Newcastle Climate Change Response
- Newcity Baptist Church
- NSW Jewish Board of Deputies
- Nova for Women & Children
- NSW Council of Social Services
- My Backyard, Macquariecare
- Rail, Tram & Bus Union
- Refugee Hub
- Salvos Housing
- Shelter NSW
- St Vincent de Paul Society
- Settlement Services International
- The Hunter Presbytery of the Uniting Church
- The Wilderness Society
- United Workers Union
- Wonnarua Nation Aboriginal Corporation
- Wesley Mission
- You've otherwise organised with David Barrow (email@example.com)