Connector Townsville May 2023
“A Connector is a MATE who can keep you safe while connecting you to help.”
The role of a Connector is to connect people who are struggling to a suicide first aid resource. Connector training takes approx. 4 hours.
A Connector is not a counselor or any other kind of professional, they are simply a mate who knows how to help. Most people participating in Connector training have naturally been in the role without even knowing it. The Connector training provides some extra skills for people to ask about suicide and then facilitate the link to help.
Connectors are trained in the following:
- What is a Connector’s role?
- What is not a Connector’s role?
- How to be alert to the signs of suicide.
- How to ask about suicide.
- How to connect a person to help.
- How to look after yourself as a Connector.
- The help that a MATES Case Manager can offer.