Dancing Freedom & Live Music in Burringbar
CONSCIOUS DANCE EXPERIENCE
Family friendly conscious dance event for Byron Bay & Tweed region is finally here.
Sam Menzies (Musician) from Murwillumbah and Nic Lyne (Dancing Freedom Facilitator) based in Mullumbimby have chosen a central location; the beautifully restored Burringbar Community of Arts Hall, to bring communities together for a monthly family friendly conscious dance event with live music.
Live musicians need to warm up, so we are keeping it real and will begin with a 1hr live music warm up to kick off our first dance wave (see schedule below). This will be a mixture of rehearsed and free flow to warm up Sams instruments and vocals and to warm up our bodies in Winter! It's also an opportunity for little ones to have a dance and drop in to the space so they're happy to fly away and let the adults drop in deeper.
We will move into a 60 min Dancing Freedom wave which is a form of conscious, ecstatic dance - a somatic movement meditation taking you on a journey through the 5 elements. You are invited to dance your own dance and move your body through your own human experience of what is alive and true. You cannot do it wrong. Every body and every part of you is welcome here. Bring a curious mind and open heart. Live music will also be woven through the wave by Sam.
This dance experience welcomes all ages to witness and take part in ecstatic dance. We love to share all parts of this dance ritual and embodied communities with our future generations.
It is fully acknowledged that little dancers might need chill out on the grass outside (area is fenced) or one of the side rooms in the hall. We only ask that you take conversations to these places so that we can hold those on dance floor in a sacred container. We ask that you have one adult watching your little ones if you know they need supervision. We are offering 2 dance waves so that you can take turns dancing with another caretaker.
All experiences are welcome and check with Nic or support team if you need anything. The first couple are going to be experiments so come with an open mind or don't come at all (haha).
We look forward to joining and welcoming communities from Mullumbimby and Murwillumbah and surrounds. We offer this with the spirit of co-creation and building community and are open to running more events slowly over time with more DJ's, facilitators, musicians and ceremonialists. We look forward to what unfolds..
You can also contact Nic directly via email before the event if you have any questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
9.30am: Door open for arriving and landing, putting a picnic rug down outside if you have children and have a stretch.
10 am: Opening circle
10 am -11.00am 10.40: Dance wave with live music.
11.00-12.00: Dance wave moving through the elements earth, water, fire, air, ether.
12-12.30pm: Community tea time
SOME AGREEMENTS FOR THE SPACE
• This is an alcohol & drug free event
• No shoes inside. Barefoot, socks or dance shoes are welcome.
• Once you enter the dance floor space - no talking - (within reason for little people) please take any conversations outside to the grass area. There is time to connect after the dance.
• Be responsible for your body (move within its abilities to avoid injury). Move how you feel and stay open to this changing moment to moment.
• Check for 'consent' before dancing with another. Check for body language cues for 'yes' or 'no'
• If you bring children please make sure you have a shared care arrangement if you are dancing.
• Please bring along any snacks, rugs, and water that will make your family most comfortable. We will have some spaces set up for crafting and outdoors for games but we ask you to bring along some cards, boardgames, books etc too.
• The hall is a device-free space. Please keep your phone on silent or off (outside grass area ok). Please don't bring tablets for children either, thank you.