Earth Day - Fashion Revolution Clothes Swap
You’re invited to Earth Day – Fashion Revolution Clothes Swap!
We love style but we don’t want it to wreck our planet or exploit people. So, we’re marking these two epic movements with a sustainable fashion clothes swap to help protect the environment from fashion pollution. And at the same time, raise awareness to help bring equity, justice and human rights to exploited garment workers in the world.
Clothes Swap & Style, City of Sydney Council and the U.S. Consulate General Sydney have teamed up to create this extraordinary sustainable fashion event as a chance to style-hack your wardrobe in a sustainable way.
How? You bring top quality clothes and accessories you no longer use to the swap event. Then you browse, ‘shop’ and take home others’ fab garments in exchange!
The U.S. and Australia are the world’s biggest consumers of fashion and textiles per capita. This fashion overconsumption contributes to climate change and environmental damage. This can change. We’re now taking action to reduce overconsumption and keep clothes out of landfill and in circularity for as long as possible. Starting with you, by swapping clothes instead of buying excessive amounts of brand new clothing.
If you love great clothes and hate fashion waste, join us in boosting the circular fashion economy while you zhuzh up your wardrobe.
You’ll be treated to a very special live performance by environmental singer-songwriter, Little Green who garnered attention across the globe by writing a song a day on social media during the lockdowns of 2021-2022! She has seen multiple songs added to triple j as her music heads beyond 10 million+ streams online.
When: Saturday April 22, 2023
Time: Arrive 10 am to check in your swap items. Welcome and swapping will begin at 11 am
Where: Juanita Nielsen Community Centre, 31 Nicholson, Street, Woolloomooloo, Sydney 2011
Tickets: Free (registration is essential)
HOW THE SWAP WORKS
1. Bring 1 – to 5 (maximum) items of clothing or accessories to add to the swap collection pool.
2. Clothing is checked in, then sorted onto racks and tables by our team.
3. Guests can only begin taking and trying on swap items only after the swap is officially declared open by the host at 11 am. This will take place after the brief welcome and talks at the beginning.
- Clothes brought to the swap MUST be clean, good quality and in good condition: not worn out, faded, pillaged, pongy or damaged. (Good quality also means something you would gift to a friend). Please be mindful and considerate of what other swappers will be happy to receive 😊.
- We can’t guarantee guests will find their sizes as it depends on what other guests bring; Regardless, accessories are included in the pool, so there will be something for everyone. Therefore, we encourage ALL SIZES to participate in the swap. This swap is for all genders so we welcome clothing designed for male, female, adaptive and all body types.
- Items to bring: pants, skirts, tops, jumpers, coats, jumpsuits, shirts, catsuits, shoes, bags, shorts, scarves, hats, dresses, sunglasses, jewellery.
- WHAT NOT TO BRING: we will not accept underwear, pyjamas and overused workout gear. Pyjamas and swimwear might be allowed only if they're brand new with tags.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ITEMS THAT DO NOT MEET THIS CRITERIA CANNOT BE ACCEPTED INTO THE SWAP.
* Clothes Swap & Style is an initiative of Eco Styles by Nina Gbor.