Join Ivan Blacket, a permaculture educator and a steward of this local region's food bowl in a one-day
workshop covering all the foundations to turn your backyard into a thriving food oasis.
In this one day course, we will cover all the essentials to create a thriving edible garden. Whether you’re living on acreage, in town or in an apartment, this workshop has been designed to suit your needs. We will be looking at growing vegetables and more and how to get the most out of your patch - regardless of size or experience.
Some of the topics covered:
- Site selection
- Nutrient cycling
- Soil health & preparation
- Pest & Weed management
It doesn’t matter if you have an established garden or you're only just thinking about taking the plunge into the world of growing: there'll be plenty of juicy content to inspire your growing dreams.
- A full day workshop led by Ivan Blacket
- All materials for demonstrations included
- Barista Coffee, Tea and other drinks
- Farm Lunch (one option off the menu at Common Ground Project Cafe)
Snacks and fruit
What to Wear & Bring
- Come dressed for any weather – rain, hail or shine! We suggest wearing waterproof and sun-smart clothing, including; a rain jacket, hat, sunscreen, closed-toe shoes, pants and comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Please note: to protect yourself on the farm, you must wear closed-toed shoes. Flat boots or gumboots are suitable, especially when it rains.
- Please bring a waterbottle and your own materials for note taking.
- If you are attached to your own gardening gloves, bring those!
Ivan Blacket grew up on a small goat dairy in Drysdale, and went on to study agricultural sciences at The University of Melbourne. Following his studies, Ivan has managed many systems around Australia from agroforestry market gardens to large fruit orchards. He developed food systems at The Farm in Byron Bay and Conscious Ground Organics, and has helped educate hundreds of aspiring farmers and homesteaders in the process.
Please note this workshop is weather-dependent. If the event can’t go ahead, we’ll seek an alternative date and offer refunds.
Youth under 25 years of age are offered 20% off the workshop price, in partnership with VicHealth's Jumpstart program. Please add the code 'YOUNGPEOPLEFARMING' to the checkout.
If you can’t afford the full ticket price, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss an accessible option for you .