Intro to Coffee Skills | Adelaide City
Thinking about a job in a café? Or exploring career options in the hospitality sector? This introductory course is just what you need to help you gain the basic skills, experience, and confidence to help you get started on the path to being a barista or to pursue further study in the hospitality industry.
To access this course for free you must be a South Australian resident (or hold a valid work or study visa), aged 18 years or older and preparing for work or study, and not enrolled in school or a Flexible Learning Options program.
The 8 sessions will be held on 30 Mar, 6 Apr, 13 Apr, 20 Apr, 27 Apr, 4 May, 11 May, & 18 May
Each Thursday class will run from 9:30am to 12:30pm.
The course topics include:
- Introduction to coffee
- Food safety in a café environment
- Learning different coffee types and styles
- Basic espresso machine use (incl milk texturing)
- Bean types and milk types
- Understanding commercial café environments and expectations
- Quality and speed: the coffee challenge – making 5 coffees in 3 minutes
- Fun latte art challenge
* It is a requirement of the program to sample coffees you or other learners have made.
Our Community Learning mentors and trainers are there to support you every step of the way. Even once the course has finished our mentors will continue to help you, making you feel confident and empowered, and ready to take the next steps in your learning journey or path to employment.
You will be required to complete a basic assessment of your reading and numeracy skills before you start. This will help the team identify any supports you may need and ensure that this is the right course for you.
Contact the Community Learning Team on 8371 4622 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further info.