Flash Speedlight Workshop
Date: 21 October
Time: 1.30pm - 4.30pm
Instructor: Seng Mah
Location: Digidirect Cannington (12 Cecil Avenue, Cannington)
Maximum participants: 6
Are you a “natural light” photographer who struggles to shoot when lighting gets challenging? Did you purchase a flash speedlight but feel like you don’t even know where to start with it?
Then, join us and uncover the secrets of your flash speedlight!
This workshop is designed to give you control and confidence in using your flash speedlight. Whether you’re photographing portraits or events indoors and outdoors, you’ll learn what your speedlight can do and how you can best use it to light your scenes and subjects!
You’ll learn about balancing flash and ambient exposure, how to use bounce flash and bounce surfaces effectively, how to work flash exposures compensation and flash manual zoom, and how to get your flash working when in high speed sync.
Throughout this workshop, you’ll learn by shooting in real world situations – both indoors and outdoors. It’s the best way to begin to master your flash speedlight!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Using your flash in its e-TTL/i-TTL modes.
- Flash exposure – and how to control flash exposure.
- Front (first-curtain) vs Rear (second-curtain) flash.
- Flash sync speed and using high speed sync on your speedlight.
- Using the flash power zoom effectively.
- Using your flash as key light vs fill light.
- Using bounce flash.
- Using flash modifiers.
- Balancing ambient and flash exposures for outdoor shooting.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Your interchangeable lens camera (DSLR or mirrorless).
- A flash speedlight capable of both TTL (Through The Lens) flash metering and HSS (High Speed Sync). These are two primary functions covered in this workshop. Check your flash speedlight’s specifications to make sure that it has both TTL Flash and High Speed Sync (HSS). Basic manual-only flash with no High Speed Sync is unsuitable for this workshop.
- Lens/es that cover a focal length range from 18mm – 135mm.
- Notebook and pen (a PDF copy of the presentation will be made available to you after this mini-workshop).