Flowing Loops - Walkshop at Bald Hill Reserve, Clayton South
Birding & disc golf walkshop
Join Dan Koop and Lina Patel for an introduction to the ~FLOWING LOOPS~ journey and an exploration of all things up in the air. Together, the group will do a little birdwatching at Namatjira Park, then stroll over to Bald Hill Disc Golf for a spot of frisbee. We’ll provide all the gear including binoculars and discs and will cater for all levels of experience - beginner to experienced bird watchers and disc golfers are all welcome!
Lina Patel is an Oakleigh local who’s been walking with Dan Koop along the line of the Suburban Rail Loop from Southland to Clayton, counting birds, mapping community relationships and making embroidered maps along the way.
Led by Dan Koop, ~FLOWING LOOPS~ is a temporary public art program that has taken inspiration from the flows, loops and lines of the Suburban Rail Loop. When built, the new rail line will alter the flows of people through our urban landscape but we’ve investigated the types of flow that already exist in the region, such as flows of water, exchanges of knowledge and the relationships between human, animal and plant species of the unique catchments of the Mordialloc Creek and KooyongKoot (Gardiners Creek).
We acknowledge Country, land and waterways of the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation and pay our respects to the ongoing custodianship of elders, past, present and future.
More information is below or please see our website at www.flowingloops.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Please Dress for the Weather:
It may be wet or cold, or dry and hot, and we will be doing some gentle walking so please come prepared for the outdoors. We’ll retreat to undercover seating areas if the weather gets too much!
This is an outdoor experience that will engage multiple senses. This is an outdoor event that will engage multiple senses. When booking please advise us of your access requirements and we can discuss your needs.
As we move around Namatjira Park the group will stay on paved surfaces, however there are sections of the disc golf course that are unpaved. We anticipate traversing about 2-3km over the course of the walkshop.
Travel to Namatjira Park:
- By Public Transport - Catch the 631, 703 or 733 Bus from Clayton Station to Namatjira Park/Springs Rd, Clayton South VIC 3169 (Google Maps)
- By Car - Park and meet near the Playground Area (Google Maps)
Learn more about Namatjira Park and Bald Hill Disc Golf from the City of Kingston and Melbourne Disc Golf:
Checklist to help you prepare and enjoy the walkshop:
To help you have an enjoyable walkshop we have a few quick tips that should help you to anticipate our activities and prepare in a way that suits you best.
- Bring your binoculars and discs - If you have your own binoculars for bird watching or discs for disc golf please bring your gear, however we will have spare binoculars and discs on hand so that you can give them a try!
- Download Bird Apps - There are many bird apps that can help you contribute to citizen science by identifying birds and recording your sightings. Here are some suggested apps you can download on your home wifi to use out in the field:
- Merlin Bird ID from Cornell Lab - www.merlin.allaboutbirds.org
- eBird from Cornell Lab - www.ebird.org/about/ebird-mobile (Here’s what people have been spotting at Namatjira Park lately!)
- Birdata from Birdlife Australia - www.birdata.birdlife.org.au/#birdata-app
~FLOWING LOOPS~ is supported by:
- Suburban Rail Loop - This artistic program has been supported by the Suburban Rail Loop East’s Community Projects Fund. Please see more about the Community Projects Fund here: www.suburbanrailloop.vic.gov.au/communityfund
- Deakin University - Dan Koop is a PhD researcher at Deakin University, exploring the possibilities of Temporary Public Art in urban environments. Please see more about Dan Koop’s research here:
- With more community groups welcome to support and engage with the program! If you’re connected to a local community group that loves nature or works to enhance your local outdoor spaces, please get in touch here: email@example.com