Flowing Loops - Walkshop at Monash University, Clayton
Public Art Walkshop at Monash University Campus
Join Dan Koop and Sarah Walker for an introduction to the ~FLOWING LOOPS~ journey and an exploration of the public art on the Monash University Clayton campus. Together the group will do a tour of the various sculptures around campus. We’ll share our insight to the public art that can be seen on campus (which is all part of the Monash University Collection), but we’ll also let you know about some of the unseen water recycling systems that work tirelessly under the campus.
Both Dan and Sarah got their first creative training at Monash University, and have recently been walking along the line of the Suburban Rail Loop from Clayton to Monash, looking at art, mapping community relationships and making embroidered maps along the way.
Led by Dan Koop, ~FLOWING LOOPS~ is a temporary public art program that has taken inspiration from the flows, loops and lines of the Suburban Rail Loop. When built, the new rail line will alter the flows of people through our urban landscape but we’ve investigated the types of flow that already exist in the region, such as flows of water, exchanges of knowledge and the relationships between human, animal and plant species of the unique catchments of the Mordialloc Creek and KooyongKoot (Gardiners Creek).
We acknowledge Country, land and waterways of the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation and pay our respects to the ongoing custodianship of elders, past, present and future.
More information is below or please see our website at www.flowingloops.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Please Dress for the Weather:
It may be wet or cold, or dry and hot, and we will be doing some gentle walking so please come prepared for the outdoors. We’ll retreat to undercover seating areas if the weather gets too much!
This is an outdoor experience that will engage multiple senses. This is an outdoor event that will engage multiple senses. When booking please advise us of your access requirements and we can discuss your needs.
As we move around Monash University campus the group will stay on paved surfaces, however there are sections of the disc golf course that are unpaved. We anticipate traversing about 2-3km over the course of the walkshop.
Travel to Monash Clayton:
- By Public Transport - Various busses run from Clayton Station to the Monash University Clayton Bus Loop, Clayton VIC 3168 (Google Maps)
- By Car - Paid parking is available at Monash Clayton by turning off Wellington St into Scenic Blvd (Google Maps)
Learn more about parking at Monash University on their website:
~FLOWING LOOPS~ is supported by:
- Suburban Rail Loop - This artistic program has been supported by the Suburban Rail Loop East’s Community Projects Fund. Please see more about the Community Projects Fund here: www.suburbanrailloop.vic.gov.au/communityfund
- Deakin University - Dan Koop is a PhD researcher at Deakin University, exploring the possibilities of Temporary Public Art in urban environments. Please see more about Dan Koop’s research here:
- With more community groups welcome to support and engage with the program! If you’re connected to a local community group that loves nature or works to enhance your local outdoor spaces, please get in touch here: email@example.com