Fun with Fungi Workshop (with Tom and Cameron from Bellarine Fungi!)
Fun with Fungi is a fantastic forum for young fledgling fungi farmers! You'll learn all about the process of growing mushrooms right from the tiniest microscopic spores all the way through to the delicious and colourful gourmet mushrooms we know and love. AND you'll get to take home your very own bucket of mushroom straw to grow your own at home.
Join us on your school/university September holiday!
What's covered in the workshop:
- The Mushroom Life Cycle: A run down on the daily life of a mushroom
- Sterilisation and Pasteurisation Processes: How to keep things squeaky clean so the mushrooms will be happy and we don't grow fungi or moulds that we don't want
- Packing and Preparation: How to layer up the straw and mushroom spawn in a bucket for ideal fruiting
- Incubation and Fruiting: How to create the best environment for your mushrooms to grow through the straw and pop out of the bucket happy and healthy
This workshop is for you if you like learning about nature and how things grow, and you like to eat tasty mushrooms!
Please note this workshop is for 12-25 year olds. Tickets are very limited as half the workshop capacity has already been filled - secure your spot!
- A 3 hour workshop led by Tom & Cameron, the owners of the small mushroom growing business Bellarine Fungi
- All materials for demonstrations included
- One cold or warm drink from the Cafe
- Lunch including mushrooms! (please add any dietaries in at checkout)
Snacks and fruit
What to Wear & Bring
- Come dressed for any weather – we will be in various locations across the farm! We suggest wearing waterproof and sun-smart clothing, including; a rain jacket, hat, sunscreen, closed-toe shoes, pants and comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Please note: to protect yourself on the farm, you must wear closed-toed shoes. Flat boots or gumboots are suitable, especially when it rains.
- Please bring a waterbottle and your own materials for note taking.
- If you are attached to your own gardening gloves, bring those!
Tom is originally from Melbourne and has been living in Geelong for four years. With a lifelong interest in developing his own businesses, he was overjoyed when a random stranger gifted him a mushroom farm! When he's not fussing over his baby shrooms, Tom likes to run, cycle and swim, and sometimes flop on the couch with a movie. He loves drumming, his sports car and talking about all things farming.
Cameron hails from Norlane and has a strong passion for mushroom growing. He loves the science of fungi and learning all about what makes mushrooms tick. He got involved in the Norlane Gourmet Shroomery in its early days and started Bellarine Fungi with Tom in May 2023. He has a background in IT and enjoys gaming in his spare time. He loves D&D and getting out planting veggies and trees with his partner and kids.
For those who are experiencing barriers, who are unemployed, or who are First Nations, we are offering 20% off the workshop price, in partnership with VicHealth's Jumpstart program. Please add the code 'YOUNGPEOPLEFARMING' to the checkout.
If you can’t afford the full ticket price, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss an accessible option for you.