Garden Insights - Planning Rosemary's Garden
Garden Insights + Share Table
Garden Insights: Planning Rosemary's Garden
Facilitated by Rosemary Burgess and Debbie Bassingthwaighte
Sunday 1 October 2023
2.00 pm - 4.30 pm
120 Kent Street, Oakey, Q 4401
This event is organised by Permaculture Toowoomba Inc.
Bookings are Essential
Bookings are essential so that we have contact details and know how many will be attending.
What We'll Do
We’ll start at 2.00 pm with a welcome and introduction. We like to visit a range of different gardens, each as unique as the gardener who lives there. It’s wonderful to see the diverse garden styles, approaches, and plants that can be grown in our bioregion.
So this month Rosemary Burgess will show us her site which has a 3-bedroom house on approximately 1/4 acre.
- A variety of structures near the main house.
- A couple of raised garden beds and numerous plants in pots.
- Food waste systems including a worm farm and compost bin.
Then together, Rosemary and Debbie will take us through a practical session focused on using basic permaculture design principles to plan a new permaculture-inspired garden. The concepts discussed will be applicable to any garden.
- Are you wondering where to start in planning your garden?
- Or do you want to design and extend the garden you already have?
- If so, join us for this practical session, and go home with a tool kit of ideas and a little inspiration.
The afternoon will include:
- Considering Rosemary's goals and personal needs for her garden
- Analysing the site
- Understanding the climate, sun, shade, rainfall, wind, frost, aspect, and terrain
- Identifying possible microclimates and permaculture zones
We'll walk around the property and brainstorm design ideas and useful permaculture design principles.
The Story Behind the Garden
I purchased this property in August/September 2022. Due to my father being ill and my commitment to assist with his palliative care at home, I have had only limited time and energy to put towards the place.
Although I have managed to set up and start a few things, this site is basically a blank slate. I do have ideas for projects long term and I would welcome ideas from my fellow members.
I am a major fan of multi-function structures, plants, etc. I have mainly been interested in food, prior to completing my PDC, however have come to appreciate the interconnectedness provided by other plants, flowers, animals, and insects to ensure a productive and pleasant space.
Afternoon Tea (provided)
A light afternoon tea will be provided (including Gluten Free and Vegan options).
What to Bring
- Water Bottle
- Sun protection
- Clothes and footwear suitable for outdoor weather conditions
- Donations of surplus produce for the Share Table
Do you have surplus?
We encourage you to bring your surplus produce, plants, seeds, books, craft supplies, and resources to share with others at our events.
Some ideas of what you could bring include – fruit, vegetables, herbs, eggs, honey, milk, jams, pickles, preserves, jars, ferments, starters, SCOBYs, seeds, plants, seedlings, cuttings, tubers, pots, tools, gardening magazines, permaculture books, recipes, patterns, manure, coffee grounds, compost additives, worms, mealworms, wool, fabric, craft supplies, soap, natural cleaning products, plastic alternatives, produce bags – the list is extensive.
Please bring whatever you can and then take home whatever you need within our culture of generosity and free sharing
This garden does have uneven ground throughout, so attendees are to be watchful where they walk. Children are welcome, with close parent supervision for their safety. (The rubber tyre swing, may have spiders, so approach with caution).
Street parking is available outside the property and across the road (vacant land adjoining the railway line). Please consider carpooling.
Rosemary’s place is at 120 Kent Street, Oakey (across the railway line near the IGA).
We hope we see you there!
- Financial Members of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. - Free
- First-time Visitors to a Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. Event - Free
- Non-Members - $10 per person
- Children attending with an Adult - Free (but please book so we know the total numbers)
Annual Membership of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. is due by 31 December each year. It's only $40 per person or $30 for a second or subsequent adult living in the same home.
If you join now, membership is half-price (pro rata for 1/2 a year) and valid for 6 months until the end of 2023.
Members can attend all events and workshops during the year at no cost. You can pay your membership at checkout when you book to attend this event.
Please complete a Membership form which will be available at the event for anyone wishing to join, or available here for download at http://www.permaculturetoowoomba.com.au/membership/
We’re taking careful steps to make sure everyone stays healthy and safe. This includes:
- Following all Queensland Health Guidelines. See https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19
Please don’t attend if you or anyone in your household is unwell. Help us keep everyone healthy and well.