Have you ever tried a fresh olive off a tree and wondered how this bitter nugget becomes something so delicious?
Join us at our olive curing workshop. This workshop will equip you with the knowledge and tools on how to turn your 2024 olive harvest into something delicious.
This session will cover:
- Olive 101 – why we need to cure olives, how to identify different types of olives, ripeness
- Ethical urban foraging and where to find olive trees
- How to sort and prepare your olives for curing
- How to cure your olives and remove the bitterness – methods and safety
- Creative ways to flavour your olives and make them delicious
- Methods to sterilise and store your olives, and how to keep your yourself safe
We will be very practical and hands on in the session, which will include:
- Identification of olives at Perth City Farm and opportunity for us to pick our own organic olives from the Perth City Farm gardens
- Demonstration of how to sort olives and how to prepare them for curing (for you to take home and start your olive journey)
- Taste testing session of an assortment of cured olives to inspire you on how to flavour your own at home!
Please bring your own:
- Jar or container to take home your fresh olives, ready to cure at home
- A small chopping board and paring knife
Lili is a Hydrogeologist, Environmental Scientist and Olive Enthusiast. Lili has a passion for making delicious things out of what might otherwise go to waste (turning waste into beautiful things). She's been curing olives for years, overwhelming her family and friends with kgs of olives each year and loves to share her passion for this wonderful hobby.
Our weekly farmer's market will be in full swing during your workshop, so it's worth arriving a little early to check out the stalls and maybe buy some fresh produce.
Perth City Farm is a community urban farm that supports connected, sustainable communities. Established on a former industrial site in East Perth, this polluted site has been lovingly rehabilitated by volunteers to become a Western Australian icon for environmental sustainability and community engagement. We provide space and opportunities to build community connections, and educate and enable people to live sustainably.