HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures 2023 Launch Event
About this event
Join the artists, curator, friends and families for the opening of HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures 2023 and the announcement of the HIDDEN Award Recipients!
• 1.00pm - Enjoy drinks on the Village Green along with a charity BBQ lunch supported by ReLove and live acoustic music (vegan and Gluten-free food options will also be available).
• 1.30pm - Smoking Ceremony and Welcome to Country: Julie Clarke-Jones, Dharug Traditional Custodian and Knowledge Keeper.
• 2.00pm - Insights from the curator and judges of HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures, then the Award Recipients will be announced.
• 3.00pm - Visit the exhibition, listen to the audio tour, talk to the artists and curator.
• Bookings are required for catering purposes— this is a free event.
• Arrive early to preview HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures and listen to the artists talk about their works on the self-guided audio tour.
• Start your HIDDEN walk at the HIDDEN HUB (Corner Hawthorn Ave & Necropolis Dr, Rookwood NSW 2141), where you can buy a HIDDEN 2023 catalogue for $5. All proceeds from your purchase will go towards restoring the grave of public figure Dr William Bland, who you can find out more about at the Friends of Rookwood website.
• Vote for your favourite work in the People's Choice Award, simply scan the QR code on site
• Parking is available in the area opposite All Souls Chapel (1 Hawthorne Ave, Rookwood NSW 2141).
• Please wear enclosed walking shoes, and bring sunscreen, a hat, and a refillable water-bottle.
• This is an all-weather event. Please bring and umbrella or rain jacket and appropriate footwear if rain is forecast
HIDDEN 2023 Artists
HIDDEN Sculptures: Kealey Bacic, Glenn Barkley, Lachlan Bell, Corey Black, Caitlin Bowe, Celine Cheung, Cole Cochran, Harry Copas, Crackpot Studios (Caroline Wright, Mandie Robertson, Sarah Robertson, Bridget Willis), Lisa Hölzl, Kumiko Delaney, Szymon Dorabialski, Entanglement (Belinda Piggott, Dinah Taprell, Jane Lush), Stevie Fieldsend, Emily Greenwood, Sylvia Griffin, Hyun Hee Lee, Virginia Keft, Soyoun Kim, Benita Laylim, Karlina Mitchell and Lee Mitchell, Clare Nicholson, Nicole O'Regan, Leyla Oz, NC Qin, Taryn Raffan, Jayanto Tan, Jane Theau, Dianne Turner.
HIDDEN Schools: Amity College, Ashfield Public School, Barker College, Cabramatta High School, Northmead Creative and Performing Arts High School.
HIDDEN Stonemasons: Dylan Brooks, Matthew Johnson, Sach Killam, Daniel Kilminster, Luke McDermott, Harold McLean, Matt McLennan, Josh Tilden, Daniel Tranter-Santoso.
Curator: Kath Fries
HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures
HIDDEN is an annual outdoor sculpture exhibition that takes place amongst the pathways and gardens in one of the oldest sections of Rookwood Cemetery. The exhibition is a unique opportunity to engage with the cemetery’s contemporary relevance and layered narratives within the artists’ works, while exploring the diverse cultural heritage of Australia's largest and most multicultural cemetery in Australia. This year there will be 44 works in HIDDEN across the Sculptures, Schools, and Stonemasons categories.
Rookwood Cemetery is located on Dharug Country, we acknowledge the Dharug people as the traditional custodians of this Land and pay our respects to their elders’ past, present and emerging.
HIDDEN 2023 exhibition: 21 October – 19 November
Open from sunrise to sunset, ENTRY IS FREE!
A special thanks to our partners, sponsors, and supporters that have made this event possible!