Maintaining Your Bike Workshop: Tyres & Tubes
This introductory workshop covers the theory of tyres, tubes, punctures and pressure, and you’ll get your hands dirty practising wheel removal and replacement, effective pumping techniques, patching a tube, and lubing a chain.
Participants will learn these aspects of bike maintenance:
- How to pump your tyres and how much air to put in
- How to lube (oil) and look after your chain
- How to patch a punctured tube rather than buy a new one
- Demo of replacing fitting a new tube in a bike
- What size tyres your bike has to help when buying new tyres or tubes
- This workshop assumes no prior knowledge of bike mechanics.
If possible, participants should bring their own bikes so they can carry out some hands-on work on their own transportation.
Good Cycles is a Melbourne based social enterprise that empowers young people who are facing barriers to work. Good Cycles offers them employment pathways to improve their futures and contribute to more sustainable cities.
Good Cycles currently carries out the following activities around Melbourne:
- Maintains the Lime bike share scheme
- Uses a fleet of e-bikes to maintain city infrastructure around Melbourne (for example, solar compacting bins)
- Uses e-bikes to clean and maintain several fleets of car share cars
They operate three (soon to be 5) bike shops in Melbourne and Geelong.
Please cancel tickets if you are no longer able to attend this event to allow tickets to be reallocated.