Manly West Public School Interrelate Family Evening Program
Session 1: Where did I come from? (Years 3 & 4) 6PM-7PM
● To help children aged 8-10 years gain an understanding of the structure and functions of the reproductive system in males
● To provide information on conception (describing sexual intercourse, associated with love in the context of a caring
relationship), foetal development and birth of a baby.
● To provide opportunities for parents and children to discuss various aspects of reproduction in an informal way.
● To reinforce the role of parents as a source of information on matters pertaining to sexuality and reproduction.
● Introduction ● Sexual intercourse & conception including assisted
● Family structure and family relationships ● Foetal development
● Male/female babies – which is which? ● Twin explanation
● Protective behaviours ● Birth
● Male/female reproductive systems ● Conclusion
Session 2: Preparing for Puberty (Years 5 & 6) (Years 3 & 4 at parent’s/guardian’s discretion) 7.15PM-8.15PM
● To provide information on puberty for 10-13 year olds, in relation to the physical changes and emotional changes
(in particular, helping them feel comfortable about their bodies and its functions; preparing them for the changes during
puberty and dispelling the myths and providing accurate, understandable information).
● To help young people feel okay about being different. Everyone develops at a different rate, especially during puberty.
● To confirm their individuality and promote self-esteem.
● To facilitate communication between parents and their children and encourage young people to take their questions,
problems and concerns to their parents.
● Introduction ● Changes to boys only
● Revision of Session 1 ● Changes to girls only
● How, why and when of puberty ● Why are these changes happening?
● Physical and emotional changes to both boys and girls ● Conclusion
This event is heavily subsided by the Manly West PandC to allow participation by all families who wish to attend.