Mike Davis | Electrical Machines | Perth 26 July 2023 | SIRF ISW
Mike Davis - Electrical Machines Specialist Workshop - 1 Day
The specialist workshop aims to coach attendees on simple electrical machine maintenance and some of the underlying processes that lead to unreliability in electrical machines. Attendees will be provided with the tools they need to describe and identify the functions of electrical machine components, various insulation types in stator and rotor windings, failure mechanisms common to electric machines, and electrical and mechanical tests sensitive to specific failure mechanisms.
The training is presented with a mix of presentation, discussion, and small group (4 to 5 participants) practical hands on exercises.
- • Motor model to understand basic induction motor functioning
• Wind a model stator to understand coil arrangement and symmetry
• Build model to show the source of bearing fluting
• Model rotor cage construction and impact on reliability
• Poster reviews of 6 common machine failures
• Electrical Machine Familiarisation
• Electrical Machine Failure Mechanisms
• Common Electrical Machine Tests
• Common Electrical Machine Inspections
• Electrical Machine Visual Inspections
- UNDERSTANDING THE FUNCTIONS OF ELECTRICAL MACHINE COMPONENTS: Upon completion of this training course, attendees will have a clear understanding of the various components that make up an electrical machine, including stator and rotor windings, and their respective functions:
- IDENTIFY INSULATION TYPES IN STATOR AND ROTOR WINDINGS: Attendees will gain knowledge on the different types of insulation used in stator and rotor windings, as well as how to identify and distinguish between them.
- RECOGNISING COMMON FAILURE MECHANISMS IN ELECTRIC MACHINES: This course will equip attendees with the ability to identify and understand the common failure mechanisms that affect electrical machines. This knowledge will be valuable in diagnosing and correcting issues that arise during maintenance.
- APPLICATION OF ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL TESTS SENSITIVE TO SPECIFIC FAILURE MECHANISMS: Attendees will learn how to apply both electrical and mechanical tests that are sensitive to specific failure mechanisms in electrical machines. This knowledge will be essential in detecting issues before they become critical thus, ensuring the reliability of machines.
- DEVELOPING SKILLS IN SIMPLE ELECTRICAL MACHINE MAINTENANCE: Through this training course, attendees will develop practical skills in the maintenance of simple electrical machines. This will include knowledge of proper maintenance procedures, use of tools and equipment, and safe work practices.
- Significantly reduce costly electrical machine failures at your plant.
- Reduce unexpected machine failures by coaching your staff in today's most effective inspection, test and maintenance procedures
- Change the way electrical machinery staff think about electrical machines and continuously build plant knowledge
- Provide peace of mind with a safe working environment ensuring your team have the right knowledge.
ABOUT MIKE DAVIS:
With over 50 years experience in rotating equipment, essentially centred on the repair, redesign and maintenance of electrical rotating plant, Mike has developed an intense academic interest in machine failure mechanisms and root cause analysis of electrical machinery failure.
Mike has presented papers throughout Australia, New Zealand, United States of America, South East Asia and South Africa, won the Australian Small Business of the Year Award and the Australian Quality Award in 2000. Mike is actively involved in several Australian Standard Committees, along with a Statutory role as an accredited assessing authority for the New South Wales Department of Minerals and Energy. Mike has worked in a variety of factories and plants throughout Australia and the world.
After training thousands of technical staff working with electrical machinery, Mike now uses his knowledge and experience to mentor and coach electrical engineer staff and teams with the EMKE Coaching Program - the world's most advanced electrical machine coaching program.
“Real life knowledge – very informative” Maintenance Supervisor - Minerals Processing
“I enjoyed the course. It was a great refresher for me and gave me amazing new perspectives” Senior Electric Power Systems Engineer - Oil & Gas
“I believe that Mike is probably the most knowledgeable practitioner on electric motors in the world. His knowledge on this subject is astounding” Reliability Engineer - Minerals Processing
"Mike brought good operational knowledge and experience to the course. The knowledge was well communicated at a good pace and furthered my understanding of electrical machines in operation" Electrical Design Engineer. Traction Motor Design - Railways
"Really enjoyed the program, have learnt a massive amount even though I have been in the industry for 10 years. Perfectly bridges the knowledge and experience gap" Workshop Supervisor - Service Provider
INCLUDED WITH THE COURSE:
- Download copy of Mike's 180 page Course Manual
- Hard copy of his course practical workbook (12 practical exercises completed in small groups during the day)
- Copy of Mike's softcover book titled "Mike's motor minutes - 101 electrical machine stories"
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Electrical and Mechanical Personnel who work on and around electrical machines, including Technicians, Trainees, Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Project Managers, Repair Company Personnel, and Condition Monitoring Engineers
When do I need to register by?
Bookings will close 1 week before the event unless sold out
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Jeff Naylor +61409 535 239
Please contact us directly for group discounts.