Science of Reading: Implementing Structured Literacy Workshop | North Metro
Join us for a special Science of Reading workshop from Julie Scali at Literacy Impact.
This workshop is highly recommended to all WA educators and will explore:
- The essential components and considerations of a structured literacy block
- Cognitive load theory, The Forgetting Curve, and the importance of Daily Review
- The Big 6 of reading- Oral language, PA, Phonics, Vocabulary, Fluency, and Language Comprehension
- Instructional routines for reading and spelling
- The essentials of explicit instruction in literacy including modelling, feedback, checking for understanding and worked examples
- The importance of background knowledge and suggested planners for knowledge-rich units
- How to rethink differentiation in a high expectations classroom
- Preventing and responding to literacy difficulties through Response to Intervention including universal screening of Dibels and CUBED.
- Use a rich text that teachers have brought along to read aloud to students (eg a picture book or novel) to begin planning a rich text unit.
Attendees are encouraged to bring along a text they think would be a good one to read to students. The presenter can workshop how you would use these texts to incorporate into the language comprehension component of the literacy block. This is optional but will add a practical element to the day.
How much are tickets?
Early bird tickets start from a SUPER LOW $49 for Network Teach Members & $99 for Non Members! This same event was advertised between $300 and $400 per person through other providers so this represents unbeatable value.
A school compliant invoice is provided immediately upon payment for your convenience and to support any school purchases.
What's included in the SUPER LOW ticket price?
- Workshop Attendance.
- AITSL Aligned Certification for all attendees. Emailed following event.
- Light morning tea and a catered lunch.
Why are tickets to this event so cheap?
This event is not designed to make a profit. As a not for profit organisation, we simply seek to provide high quality access to education based Professional learning opportunities.
What should I bring to the event?
Simply bring yourself, a pen and a notepad.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any query you may have and we will provide a response within 24 hours.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
A printed ticket is NOT REQUIRED for this event as we will simply check you in upon arrival.
WHERE IS THE EVENT?
The event is located at St Luke's Catholic Primary School, 17 Duffy Terrace, Woodvale. Event venue: Main Dance Hall - Building on the far left of the School.