Old Gundagai Gaol Ghost Hunt - 7pm (12+ years) - 16/12/2023
Prepare for an unforgettable night that will haunt your dreams, as we beckon you to the ancient halls of the old Gundagai Gaol. Step into the darkness as we embark on a bone-chilling ghost hunt, delving deep into the depths of the paranormal. Uncover the truth as we dare to encounter the lingering spirits of the forsaken Gaol, their spectral presence yearning to make contact with unsuspecting souls such as yourself. Brace yourself for an evening of unearthly revelations that will etch their mark upon your very soul.
APPI are the Official Paranormal Researchers of the Gaol. Join us at this amazing location, and find out for yourself if it is really haunted.
- Have you watched those ghost hunting shows on the television, and wondered what it would be like to actually join a proper paranormal investigation? We want to give you that chance!
- APPI Ghost Hunts & Tours are experienced paranormal investigators, with collective experience of over 40 years. Ghost hunting is our passion, and we want to share that with you.
- You will have the chance to use state-of-the-art equipment to aid you in your ghost hunting.
- You can take part in some set experiments, designed for the best outcome (of making contact with the spirit world)
- You will be guided by experienced paranormal investigators, who have investigated all over the world. We will cover not only the scientific, equipment side of things, but also delve into the spiritual side.
- We love our guests, and want YOU to have an amazing time, and to really get into the spirit of the night (pun intended).
- This event goes for two hours. Please dress according to the weather, and bring a bottle of water with you as unfortunately, due to COVID-19, refreshments cannot be provided.
- There is only 1 bathroom available at Old Gundagai Gaol, so we would appreciate it if you could use the facilities before arriving to limit the queue.
- Mixing spirits with spirits does not mix. Should you be intoxicated with alcohol or any other substance, you will be refused entry.
These tours are run in agreement with the Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council.
Following the devastating 1852 flood, the town lock-up needed to be rebuilt as a watch-house or gaol. Alexander Dawson, the colonial architect, designed the building and Charles Hardy won the tender for it’s construction in 1859. Hardy and Hodson builders completed further additions in 1861, and in 1863 a kitchen was built for the gaol, designed by James Barner, the Government Architect. The magnificent stone boundary wall which still stands today was constructed in 1866.
The gaol consists of a cluster of structures including, The Gaolers residence, the external kitchen block, the hospital (original gaol), the gaol including exercise yard, an outhouse, outbuilding, a well and archaeological remains.
Prisoners with short-term sentences who had been sentenced at Gundagai or at courts in the surrounding district were incarcerated in the Gundagai Gaol. Prisoners, including bushrangers, who were in transit to other gaols were also accommodated there. Although no longer in use, Gundagai Gaol is one of the few remaining gaol compounds dating from 1859 and a rare and largely intact example of its type.
In 1870 the Gundagai Gaol was classed as a ‘lock-up’ or ‘proclaimed gaol’ and could accommodate from four to twenty prisoners. During this year the actual number of prisoners received included 4 debtors; 19 males and 2 females awaiting trial; 55 males and 3 females ‘in transit’; 11 males under sentence to labour; 7 males and 3 females sentenced to imprisonment; with none in solitary confinement. The greatest number received at one time totaled 9.
Gundagai Gaol was closed in the 1970’s and a holding cell was constructed at the Gundagai Police Station in Byron Street.
Please note: Because of the way the Old Gaol was constructed and the slope of the land, it is difficult to access for those with limited mobility. We are sorry for the inconvenience. There are stairways to navigate and uneven pathways.
IN ORDER TO OFFER QUALITY TOURS AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, ALL SALES ARE FINAL. PLEASE CAREFULLY REVIEW YOUR TOUR, DATE AND TIME BEFORE PURCHASE.
- All payments are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- When you make a booking with us it is entirely your responsibility to ensure that you are able to make the event date that you have booked, as APPI Ghost Hunts & Tours cannot offer a refund or transfer your places onto another event date if you or any of your party are unable to attend.
- The reason for this is that all places are paid for in advance to our locations, which means we are still liable for these costs even if you cannot attend the event.
- +BF means “Plus Booking Fee”.