Professional Development: Science Outdoors (Primary K-6) 2023
Teaching science in an outdoor environment has positive implications for students overall learning and is supported by a broad range of evidence. In this 2 hour professional development course, our Centennial Parkland Educators will give teachers the skills and confidence to deliver and teach their children first hand investigations, data collection, working scientifically skills and scientific knowledge content effectively in an outdoor environment.
Delivered by Centennial Parklands Education Staff in our outdoor classroom, this program will be held mostly outside. Participants will learn the benefits of teaching science outdoors and how to inspire and engage their students through nature connection. Learning in authentic environments like the outdoor classroom at Centennial Park foster students sense of wonder and expand their natural curiosity about the world around them in order to develop their understanding of, interest in, and enthusiasm for science and technology.
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The connection between outdoor learning/nature play and science education
- How to establish an outdoor classroom to teach science content and skills e.g. water and stick use.
- Activities for science outdoor learning that are linked to the Science and Technology K-6 Syllabus
- How to conduct science first hand investigations in an outdoor environment e.g. dip netting, raft building and shelter construction.
- How to use ephemeral art as a way to record findings in science lessons.
Completing Science Outdoors (Primary K-6) Professional Development course will contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum addressing standard descriptor 2.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Please check our Covid-19 Safety Plan before booking.
Do not attend our programs, if
- You show any COVID-19 symptoms or feel unwell
- You have returned a positive Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) or Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test
- You have been asked to self-isolate
Please follow the NSW Health COVID-19 testing and self-isolating Health Order advice. We will refund your ticket if you or your child are not able to attend due to any of the above reasons.