Refugee Week Keynote Speaker: Tariq's Story of Finding Freedom
20th June 2023 is World Refugee Day and falls in Refugee Week. This opportunity from the Refugee Council of Australia and supported by Wagga Wagga City Council provides a speaker from a refugee background and a representative of the Refugee Council of Australia.
Tariq is a former refugee from Afghanistan who fled with his family from the war. He resettled in Australia in 2010. His story is an amazing one of strength, courage and determination.
Talk will cover:
- who refugees are and where they come from
- facts about refugees worldwide and in Australia
- the conditions refugees face overseas
- Australia’s refugee policies
Tariq will share his personal story of his families journey to finding freedom and give community the opportunity to learn about refugees, their experiences and their contributions to Australia.
Date: Tuesday 20 June 2023
Time: 5:30 to 6:30PM
Where: Wagga Wagga City Council's Civic Centre
243 Baylis Street, Wagga Wagga
*Registrations are essential, as catering will be provided
Need assistance? You can email Wagga Wagga City Council firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1300 292 442
- Hearing Aid Loop system which consists of a wire loop that is installed in the Civic Centre Meeting Room and is connected to the sound system.
- Wheelchair accessible: The Civic Centre Main Meeting Room is located on the ground floor of the Wagga Wagga Civic Centre with accessible bathroom facilities, wide doorways and automatic entryways. Ramps to the Civic Centre from the street can be found on Baylis and Morrow Street. Disability Permit parking can be located on Morrow and Baylis Streets.