Rock Climbing Skills Course
Ever wanted to learn how to rock climb?
I don't mean in a climbing gym. I mean outdoors on real rock, using ropes, harnesses and setting your own protection...the real deal?
Well, if you're like many people, you have probably thought it's too hard, too complex, too dangerous and will take way to long to learn...
Well, well. This is all about to change. Enter the Rock Climbing Skills Course by Rossfit. A 6-Day 'Zero to One Hundred' climbing course...actually, probably not the best analogy for rock climbing ;) But you get what I mean. During the 6-day course you will be taken from zero outdoor rock climbing experience, to confidently leading up multi-pitch trad and sport climbing routes, on real rock, in the great outdoors. You will know what to do, and how to do it safely and with confidence.
This custom-built rock climbing course has been designed to take a beginner rock climber and arm them with all the essential skills to be confident and able to multi-pitch trad climb outdoors in a safe manner. Furthermore, this course teaches participants how to build various anchors, conduct rescue procedures and abseil with confidence. The skills you learn on this course will provide the foundation for the alpine climbing skills taught on the Rossfit Mountaineering Skills course held in New Zealand in early 2024. The skills you will learn on the 6-Day Rock Climbing Skills course include:
- Single-pitch trad climbing - gear preparation for safe and efficient climbing, gear selection for particular rock features, learn how to place pro, build multi-point EARNEST anchor systems using trad gear and your rope, abseiling
- Multi-pitch trad climbing - planning for big climbs so you're prepared for any eventuality, communication techniques to support safe and successful climbing, additional anchor systems, multi-pitch abseiling, transitioning from top-belay to lead-belay while on the wall, walking descent techniques
- Advanced abseil skills - become confident abseiling with and without the aid of a prusik
- Prusiks - learn how to use different styles of prusiks, and how to ascend a rope using only a prusik (no ascender device)
- Essential rescue skills - self-recovery, emergency situation management, pulley systems
Location: This course will take place at Arapiles in Eastern Victoria. If the weather situation necessitates the backup location is Mount Buffalo in the Victorian high country.
Dates: 15-20 November 2023
Prerequisites: Indoor lead climbing course certificate * (2-day course conducted in most indoor climbing gyms), and be comfortable climbing indoor lead at grade 15 or higher
Course includes: 6 days of full instruction by certified rock climbing instructor, most rock climbing equipment
Not included: accommodation (camping or Airbnb accom will be organised amongst course participants), food, transport, personal climbing gear (harness, helmet, rock shoes), hiking/camping gear/clothing.
Rossfit takes groups of well-trained and well-prepared adventurers on expeditions and treks around the world. In late 2024 the next series of treks/expeditions take off to the Himalayas, and this course will serve as an important skills-development step in the build-up training for the climbers going up Ama Dablam and Cholatse in the Nepalese Himalayas. Learn more about these expeditions here.
* If you do not already have your indoor lead climbing course certificate, Rossfit will be organising a course over two half-days (Sat & Sun morning) in October for those who require this training prior to the 6-day course. Contact Ross 0401 137 347 for more information.