Young Photographers Workshop with Atkins Lab: School Holiday Program
Are you a budding shutterbug after some pro tips from a photography expert?
Bring your device of choice and join us for at the South Australian Museum for a special school holiday workshop for ages 7 to 13.
To celebrate the Australian Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year exhibition, the South Australian Museum and exhibition partner Atkins Lab will present a 90-minute guide to getting the most out of your camera.
Paul Atkins from Atkins Lab will unpack everything that goes into a great photo, from lighting to composition and everything in between. Then, you’ll put those ideas into practice by taking photographs of your own outside on the Museum lawns and inside the Discovery Centre.
At the end of the workshop, participants can send their favourite photo to be professionally printed by the team at Atkins Lab, and displayed in the Discovery Centre before you can take it home for your own private exhibition.
Please note: this is a B.Y.O. device event, whether it’s a phone, tablet or digital camera
- This workshop is aimed at 7-13 year olds.
- This is a beginner's workshop, and no prior experience is required, other than a basic understanding of how to take a photo using your device's camera function.
- An accompanying adult is required to stay with the participant for the duration of the workshop, accompanying adults do not need a ticket.
- Meet in the Main Foyer by our Egyptian column to have your tickets scanned. Our workshop leader will then guide you to the location of the workshop.
- This workshop does not include entry to the Australian Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year exhibition. Tickets to the exhibition can be booked here.
Frequently asked questions:
Will I need to bring anything?
Please bring your own device for taking photos, as the museum will be unable to provide a camera. Please make sure it is fully charged and ready for use. Each participant will need their own device.
How will the photo be printed?
After the workshop, participants will be invited to email us their favourite photo from the day at firstname.lastname@example.org. Paul will print these and deliver them to the Museum, where we will display them in the Discovery Centre while awaiting collection. More details about file formats will be given on the day.
How can I collect the printed photo?
We will contact you via email once the photo is ready to collect.
Who is this workshop aimed at?
This is a beginner's workshop aimed at 7 to 13-year olds, participants will need a basic understanding of how to use their device's camera function.
Will I get to work with my child?
Participants must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the workshop. You can get involved and work with your child or step back and let them go for it independently.
Image: McKinley Moens, Turtley Mesmerised, Junior category runner up (detail)