Silent Insight & Vipassana Retreat
Insight & Vipassana Retreat
with Radha Nicholson and Will James
3-9 November 2023 at Sangsurya Retreat Centre, Byron Bay
Insight meditation allows us to see clearly the reactions and distortions that arise in our daily life. It cultivates an awareness of the freedom and clarity that is available in each precious moment.
Radha Nicholson regularly teaches retreats in Australia and is a founding teacher of Bay Insight, Byron Bay, Australia. Radha teaches the liberation of the heart through inquiry and insight. She focuses on freeing the mind through the realisation of the non-dual nature of reality.
Will James is the guiding teacher at the Tallowwood Sangha in Bellingen. He regularly leads retreats in Australia and Bali, has taught at the Dharma Gatherings in Australia and India, and is a Senior Mentor for the Insight Meditation Institute.
COVID protocols: We follow all NSW Health guidelines on our retreats. Any necessary protocols will be advised prior to the retreat to insure safety for all.
Detailed Retreat Information:
Please arrive between 3:00pm and 5:00 pm on Friday, 3 November The retreat will finish after lunch on Thursday, 9 November.
Schedule: The full days have an early optional exercise period e.g. yoga, walking or individual exercise. The retreat program consists of sitting, standing, walking & guided meditation, meditation instruction, group and individual meetings with teachers, inquiry sessions, evening Dharma talks and daily mindfulness work periods.
The retreat is conducted in silence apart from meetings with teachers and essential communication.
Meetings with the teachers are an essential aspect of the retreat and will be in a small group format. Also there will be opportunity for individual interviews with teachers during the week.
Dana: Insight Meditation teachers give generously of their time and energy during retreats. They receive no payment for this and are supported by donations from those attending retreats.
A Dana (donation) box will be placed inside the meditation hall for donations to support the teachers.
Things to Note:
All bedding and linen including towels, sheets, blankets and pillows are provided (except for van campers).
Three healthy, vegetarian meals are provided each day. Fruit, tea, and coffee are also available throughout the day. Gluten free/dairy free/vegan diets can be catered for - please tick the appropriate boxes on the registration form. Other dietary needs MAY be catered for at the cook's discretion but must be included on the registration form in the "other information" section.
What to Bring:
- Meditation cushions and mat
- Clothing plus meditation shawl or wrap
- Torch with extra batteries: Sangsurya is in a forest setting and even though there is path lighting, a torch is handy for moving around the area at night.
- Water bottle (please leave outside the meditation hall): Filtered water is available at the meditation hall and in the dining room.
- Rain/sun protection:
- Other useful items: Mosquito repellent and sunscreen. Yoga mat if you wish to participate in yoga. Personal toiletries.
Etiquette on Retreat:
The retreat will be run under the protection of the five precepts to create a safe and supportive environment. All participants are invited and encouraged to take up the five retreat precepts.
The teachers are also committed to this practice. If any student suspects that an insight teacher is slipping in ethical conduct, they are asked to discuss this with the manager.
The Five Precepts for the retreat are to take up the practices of:
- Cultivating kindness and restraining from harmful actions.
- Cultivating appreciation and generosity with possessions and restraining from taking what is not freely offered.
- Cultivating inner joy and contentment and restraining from sexual expression.
- Cultivating truthful and appropriate communication and restraining from speech that distorts or is damaging.
- Cultivating clarity and restraining from habits that create dullness or heedlessness.
We acknowledge that this retreat takes place on Arakwal Country and pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging.
This information will be sent to all participants in a document form prior to the retreat.