Waiheke Collective Meet-up: Stargazing and Light Pollution with Dark Sky Waiheke
Collective Spotlight: Stargazing and Light Pollution with Dark Sky Waiheke
To warm up for Matariki we will be joined by passionate stargazer Kim Wesney from Dark Sky Waiheke at our June meet-up.
Kim will give us an introduction and background to Dark Sky Waiheke Island, and their role in championing dark skies, through advocacy and education. During this session, Kim will also cover:
- What is Light Pollution and why should we care about it?
- Wildlife and ecosystems
- Nightsky Heritage and Culture
- Energy saving (and money)
- Lighting, crime and safety: myths vs smart lighting
- What you can do to make a difference, with 5 simple steps to reduce light pollution
- Aims for Waiheke Eastern end to be accredited as a Dark Sky Park
We'll be closing by going outside for a Stargazing Session - using Kim's telescope to look up, connect, and share our beautiful night sky, where she will show us objects visible every night, the local celestial neighbourhood overhead and more.