Built in 1938, The Sun Theatre took only six months to be constructed by the firm Hansen and Yuncken Pty Ltd for £25,000. The Sun Theatre was acquired in 1965 by CMP under whose management the theatre would operate as a Greek-language cinema until its closure in 1982.
It became derelict over the next twenty years until the current owners purchased it in 1995. It was in a sad state, as a mecca for white ants and a roof so leaky that the plaster ceiling had caved in on the seats.
The new owners began one of Melbourne’s most popular film societies from 1998 to 2003 which encouraged everyone to help bring The Sun back to glory. The large auditorium has been carefully and respectfully divided into four cinemas, and another four cinemas have been added over several years.
When it originally opened in 1938, the Sun was a single-screen, 1,050-seat cinema—and the most luxurious in the area. Today it has eight boutique art deco-inspired cinemas ranging in size from 200 seats down to 23 couches and variations in between, screening new release and art house films from Hollywood, Australia and around the world.
There will be a tour of the cinema and cinema history showreels played.
Meeting point: meet in the theatre foyer.