Tend to Yourself, Mindfulness in the Garden and Celtic Harpist Ilona Weir
This event will take place Sunday 1st, Monday 2nd, Wednesday 4th, Sunday 8th, Monday 9th and Wednesday 11th October
If you already practice mindfulness, bring a folding chair and be seated in the garden for a 15.00 start.
If you are not familiar with mindfulness, arrive at 14.45 for a simple explanation of the technique before you join the silent audience. Dr Dinosaur will also recommend silent substitutes for applause.
If you prefer not to engage in mindfulness, you are very welcome to join the audience to enjoy 30 minutes of Ilona Weir’s Celtic harp music in the Wirra Creek Community Garden.
Mindfulness involves being aware of thoughts, feelings, sensations, and surroundings. Tune into sensory inputs (rather than rehashing the past or imagining the future) while you practice attending to thoughts and feelings without judgement.
These wellbeing sessions are presented by Dr Dinosaur, a retired GP who recommends evidence-based self care. You are welcome to attend any or all of them.
Mindfulness is not guaranteed to enhance resilience, reduce anxiety or improve your mental health, but these effects have been revealed during controlled trials. Spending time in the garden is also a recognized contributor to mental well-being.
These events will take place on Kaurna Yerta at Willa-willanga. This is one of the many homes of Mullawirraaburka, and his family. We pay our respects to Mullawirraburka and all of the Kaurna Elders of the past and living today. We recognize and respect the continuing importance of country and cultural heritage to all First Nations Australians. This event is free, max number of places is 25. Please book so we are aware of numbers.
This is an outdoor event so please;
Dress appropriately for the weather
Bring a folding chair or pillow/picnic rug to sit on
Toilet is available on site.
Terms and conditions:
- WEC events may be photographed, and images used for promotional purposes on WEC's website or social media.
- If you do not wish your image (or the image of your child) to be published, please notify staff before the event.
- If you are no longer able to attend an event please, cancel your tickets as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate in the program. There are limited places.
- If an event is sold out, no tickets are given out at the door
- If you join a waitlist, we will contact you if a ticket becomes available.