The Healing Power of Music: Community Forum
This community event will bring together artists, academics and creatives to share through sound and discussion ancient and contemporary perspectives on the role and purpose of music in our society.
This year will shine a light on musicians’ mental health as we hear intimate personal stories of healing through music, research on artists wellbeing, as well as ideas for how we can promote a broader definition of music—one that brings the practicing musician into the centre of discussions around community wellbeing, educational reform and cultural innovation.
The 21st Century musician is connected to many diverse traditions and cultures, providing them with the tools to bring people together, share cultural knowledge and wisdom through sound and promote healing and understanding.
- Associate Professor Melissa Forbes (University of Southern Qld)
- Chiho Kagawa (artist, sound healer)
- Lachlan Hawkins (artists, educator)
- Henry Kafoa (PhD candidate Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University)
- Associate Professor Tim Munro (Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University)
- Dr Anthony Garcia (Co-founder Artistic Director Sounds Across Oceans
Visit our website to view the speaker profiles.
The Healing Power of Music is part of The Ground Beneath Us Festival.
This program is made possible through the support of Brisbane City Council & Queensland State Government.
Would you like to show your support for The Ground Beneath Us? Tax deductible donations can be made via the festival’s Australian Cultural Fund platform. Your donation will assist with cost across a range of areas, including production, marketing & administration, and research & documentation.