Thirty Years of Russell & Holmes: Santa Cruz Celebration
This first of four Russell & Holmes Days celebrates not only the Beekeeper’s Apprentice’s 30th anniversary, but also publication week for The Lantern’s Dance—AND Russell & Holmes' 102nd wedding anniversary! We’ll gather in Laurie R. King’s home town, with a book talk for Lantern’s Dance on Friday night at Bookshop Santa Cruz, then an all-day Saturday event at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History., 705 Front Street.
Tentative schedule (no doubt will change):
- 9:30-10—coffee/pastries/fruit Continental breakfast and getting settled
- 10-10:30— Laurie talks, about Russell & Holmes & The Beekeeper’s Apprentice
- 10:30-11:30—Laurie in conversation with…. (details to come)
- 11:30-12:30— The Practical (and Philosophical) Art of Beekeeping, with Laurie’s near-neighbor, beekeeper Emily Bonder, and some of her bees
- 12:30-1:30—Cream Tea Lunch from The Busy Bees Café (yes, really!)
AND—BEES: honey tasting & demonstration hive Q&A with Emily Bonder
- 1:30-2:00—Chat & signing time with Laurie
- 2-3—Demonstration/talk (Lockpicking? Twenties dress? details to come)
- 3-4—Beekeeper Bingo—with prizes!
- 4-5—Laurie closing Q&A, signing, photos
Light breakfast and full “cream tea” style lunch are included in the cost.
For dinner, there are many great restaurants in walking distance, and we encourage attendees to meet up. Closer to the date, we will help match people together with venues.
Swag/giveaways include: special short story reprints, graphics printouts, special Beekeeper book bag
Places available: 70
Cost: $250 (Please note: these costs are still being negotiated, and if they come down, there will be a partial refund. Full refund up to 2 weeks before, after that we will refund if we can fill your place from the waiting list.)