VETERAN HEALTH - A Systematic Approach to Navigating DVA and Musculoskeletal Health Concerns
This face-to-face educational event facilitated by Dr Kerry Summerscales a General Practitioner who recently transitioned out of the Defence Force skilled in defence and Veteran health conditions, provides GPs the opportunity to reinforce and improve the management of healthcare for Defence Veterans.
GPs will be empowered to provide healthcare services in an area that is often identified as important but challenging due to the uncertainty of navigating defence health issues and associated health care planning.
This educational event aims to improve knowledge, skills and confidence in defence Veteran health consultations. Providing GPs with clarity around conducting post ADF health assessments and Medical Impairment Assessments and knowledge about the Coordinated Veteran Care (CVC) program, enrolment and implementation with a specific focus on musculoskeletal concerns.
RACGP Approved Event
- Education Activity 5.5 Hours
- Reviewing Performance 3 Hours
ACRRM Approved Event
- 5.25 Educational Activity
- 3.25 Performance Review
- Distinguish common health and musculoskeletal conditions that impact Veterans health to improve early diagnosis and treatment
- Outline the process of a Post ADF Discharge Health Assessment and formulate a process to implement within your clinic.
- Formulate a process to support Veterans to submit claims for assistance with the Department of Veteran Affairs to increase accessibility into health services.
- Identify the appropriate Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) forms to complete, to support Veterans in receiving healthcare assistance
- Develop a process to identify the qualifying features of the Co-ordinated Veterans Care Program and then implement a process to activate the Co-ordinated Veterans Care program
- Utilise relevant software and resources to appropriately bill for Veteran consultations.
- Discuss key history and examination findings for common upper and lower limbs commonly seen in the Veteran population and identify an appropriate treatment plan.
- Perform an appropriate musculoskeletal examination on a patient with musculoskeletal concerns in upper and lower limbs and identify an appropriate treatment plan.