Athletics & Bocce Competitions
Athletics & Bocce Competitions (*qualifying event)
Dates: Sunday 9 July 2023
Time: 10am to 1pm
Location: UWA Sports Park Athletics Track, 10 McGillivray Rd, Mount Claremont 6010
Cost: $20 (+ booking fee)
Special Olympics local competitions are for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and autism, who wish to compete against other athletes in their chosen sport, and qualify for Special Olympics' state and national competitions. They include:
- A high-quality competition, with multiple divisions for beginner, intermediate and advanced players
- Qualified officials and game support officers
- Award presentations
- Performance results and feedback
- Fun unified events (where athletes with and without intellectual disabilities compete together)
- Athletes must participate in accordance to the The Maximum Effort Rule. For all events during the competition, athletes must give their maximum effort to support a fair competitive environment for all athletes. A variance of a maximum of 15% is applied to divisioning as per Special Olympics official sport rules. If an athlete achieves more than 15% variance in their result in final race, compared to their previous heat race, they will be disqualified.
- Athlete can compete in only one sport competition on the day - Athletics OR Bocce.
- For Athletics, athletes can choose to compete in up to 3 individual track and field events and 1 team relay event only. In addition, they are choose to participate in the fun unified events.
- For Bocce, athletes must compete in the Singles event. The Doubles and Teams events are optional. Athletes may choose 1 or more bocce events to compete in. There is no limit.
Bocce Competition Events: (*This is not the order of events)
- Singles (one player per team)
- Doubles (two players per team)
- Teams (four players per team)
Athletics Competition Events: (*This is not the order of events)
Individual Track & Field Events
- 25 M
- 50 M
- 100 M
- 200 M
- 400 M
- 800 M
- 1500 M
- Long Jump
- Standing Long Jump
- Softball Throw
- Tennis Ball Throw
- Shot Put
Team Relay Events
- 4 x 100 M Relay
- 4 x 200 M Relay
- 4 x 100 Meter Unified Relay
- 4 x 200 Meter Unified Relay
Competition Schedule: (*draft only)
9:00am - Welcome
9:15am - Warm-up
9:30am - Athletics & Bocce Heats (*only the events requiring divisioning)
10:30am – Break
10:45am – Athletics Individual Events & Bocce Single Event Finals
11:45pm – Athletics Team Relays & Bocce Double/Team Events
12:00pm – Athletics & Bocce Fun Unified Events
12:30pm – Award Presentations
Note: The final schedule will be included in the information pack sent out to all athletes prior to the day once all athlete registrations have been received.
Who can get involved?
- Athletes who are registered as 2023 Special Olympics members
- Athletes who train or compete with an existing athletics or bocce club or program
- Athletes who want to become eligible to compete in upcoming Special Olympics state and national competitions, including our upcoming 2023 State Games
How to register:
To compete in the competition, athletes must register online via this page by Friday 30 June. Athletes register as an individual player, and teams will be determined on the day.
Before the day, all registered athletes will receive an information pack with further information on the event.
Need support? Please contact Special Olympics WA at email@example.com.