Water Masterclass Sydney: The impact of Ions on Coffee Flavours
How much can a single molecule impact a cup of coffee?
Join us in our Water Masterclass to find out how water impacts the flavours of coffee and how to use it as a variable to improve the quality of your brews.
This 7-hour Masterclass is conducted by Simon Gautherin who is the Coffee Excellence Manager for Zest. Simon has been researching the topic of water chemistry for several years now and has leveraged his findings to coach and compete in coffee competitions at the World level. He will share all of his tips, tricks and secrets around water during this Masterclass.
In this course, we will cover the following:
- Basic introduction to water chemistry: covering the essentials to be able to understand and replicate the content of this course at home
- General thoughts and philosophy on water chemistry as a tool: moving away from the traditional metrics and looking at a more replicable and predictable approach
- How to build your own water from scratch: making concentrates, doing the dilutions and mixing different minerals together
- Tasting and understanding the impact of ions on coffee flavours: calibration with different mineral solutions, calibration of the solutions with coffee
- Forecasting ceilings and threshold limits for ions: establishing a range for each mineral and each ion that brings positive attributes to the cup
- Dialling coffee using water mineral content: you will work in teams of 2 to create your own water to match a given coffee. We will go through several rounds where you get to make small tweaks and improve the following cup, as well as tasting other teams' water recipe.
The course includes a short lunch break where a light meal and some refreshments will be provided.
Participants will also walk away with a mineral kit for them pursue their testings and research in their own time.