End of Year Celebration with Propagation Workshop
End of Year Celebration + Workshop + Share Table
Presented by Doreen Jachmann, Bloomfield's Homestead
Sunday 3 December 2023
2.00 pm - 6.00 pm
Don't miss this opportunity to celebrate 2023 and learn how to propagate productive food plants.
Join Doreen Jachmann, Permaculture Consultant and Horticulturist, Bloomfield's Homestead for a practical afternoon of learning.
at The Hub, Civic Church
258 Spring Street, Toowoomba, Q 4350
This event is organised by Permaculture Toowoomba Inc.
Bookings are Essential
Please book so we have your contact details and know how many will be attending.
What We'll Do
Practical Propagation Workshop - presented by Doreen Jachmann, Bloomfield's Homestead
Learn the vital skills of plant propagation:
- Become more self-reliant in raising your own seedlings. Not only is this a huge cost saving, but also you won't be affected if there is ever a supply shortage.
- Propagate with succession in mind. Raising your own seedlings and plants enables you to select strong plants, that are well adapted to your microclimate.
- Propagate varieties that are not readily available from mainstream suppliers.
Learn how to:
- Set up a propagation station
- Sterilise equipment
- Create soil mix recipes and what to look for in commercial seed raising / potting mix
- Raise seedlings using different techniques
The workshop will focus on propagation from:
- Plant Divisions
Also learn about:
- Hardening off
- Seed storage
- Succession planning
- A selection of plants to start your propagation journey.
About Doreen Jachmann
Doreen is a Permaculture Consultant and Horticulturist living at Bloomfield’s Homestead, a 5-acre Land for Wildlife property in Jimboomba. She and her partner Jamie Bloomfield are implementing a permaculture design with the aim to be off grid and more self-sufficient.
Doreen facilitates workshops, property consultations, and food-growing coaching.
Growing up in a small village south of Berlin in former communist East Germany, it was common practice to have a food garden and raise animals for milk, eggs and meat. Doreen grew fruit and vegetables at her parents' home and created an ecologically well functioning food garden that had many medicinal flowers integrated with the food producing crops. Then during her early teenage years she volunteered at the locally renowned Saxdorfer Pfarrgarten, where she furthered her study on plants and garden techniques.
Doreen has formal education in Environmental Monitoring of Soil and Water, achieved a Bachelor in Horticulture, a Certificate 4 in Training and Assessment, and has completed many other courses.
Please join us after the propagation workshop for a shared meal of baked potatoes with various self-serve toppings (including Gluten Free and Vegan options). Tea, coffee and water will be provided, but please BYO cold drinks.
Children's Activity Table
This is a family-friendly event so there will be an activity table of Christmas crafts to keep children busy. Children are always welcome and encouraged to join us.
- Financial Members of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. - Free
- First-time Visitors to a Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. Event - Free
- Non-Members - $10 per person
- Children attending with an Adult - Free (but please book so we know the total numbers)
What to Bring
- Water Bottle
- BYO drinks for the shared meal. (Baked potatoes and toppings will be provided.)
- Donations of surplus produce for the Share Table. We plan to have a Mega Christmas Share Table packed with produce and gifts for the festive season.
Mega Christmas Share Table
Do you have surplus? Please bring a few extra special things if you can to celebrate 2023 and the festive season. Think about special produce and gifts.
We encourage you to bring your surplus produce, plants, seeds, books, craft supplies, and resources to share with others at our events.
Some ideas of what you could bring include – fruit, vegetables, herbs, eggs, honey, milk, jams, pickles, preserves, jars, ferments, starters, SCOBYs, seeds, plants, seedlings, cuttings, tubers, pots, tools, gardening magazines, permaculture books, recipes, patterns, manure, coffee grounds, compost additives, worms, mealworms, wool, fabric, craft supplies, soap, natural cleaning products, plastic alternatives, produce bags – the list is extensive.
Please bring whatever you can and then take home whatever you need within our culture of generosity and free sharing.
Annual Membership of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. is due by 31 December each year. It's only $40 per person or $30 for a second or subsequent adult living in the same home.
If you join now, membership is valid until the end of 2024.
Members can attend all regular events and workshops during the year at no cost. You can pay your membership at checkout when you book to attend this event.
Please complete a Membership form which will be available at the event for anyone wishing to join, or available here for download at http://www.permaculturetoowoomba.com.au/membership/
The venue has access for wheelchairs, wheeled walkers and strollers as needed.
Off-street parking is available in the carpark on site.